POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Portal (Message 16 to 25 of 35)
From: Rune
Subject: Re: Portal
Date: 17 Oct 2007 12:15:39
Message: <4716352b@news.povray.org>
"Slime" wrote:
> Anyone else playing Portal? I bet almost everyone here would enjoy it.
> It's a short game but it's really good. $20 on Steam.

I'd like to play it, but unfortunately the motherboard of my computer is
sent to repair, and the laptop I'm using in the mean time can't handle 3D
graphics at all. Maybe later.

However, I've played Narbacular Drop a year or two ago. It's free and I
highly recommend it!
http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/

AFAIK, the people who made Narbacular Drop were the ones later hired by
Valve to help make Portal, and it's very easy to see the that technology and
gameplay is the same. Narbacular Drop is more children friendly and more
primitive graphics wise, but the portals and resulting gameplay is almost
exactly the same as in Portal as far as I can see, although perhaps not as
adrenaline intensive.

So if you think the puzzles in Portal look interesting, but aren't prepared
to pay the $20, give Narbacular Drop a try for free for starters! Or if you
beat Portal and would like more of the gameplay set in a different universe
(and see what Portal started out as originally) also try out Narbacular
Drop!

Rune

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:15:43 +0200, Rune wrote:
> AFAIK, the people who made Narbacular Drop were the ones later hired by
> Valve to help make Portal, and it's very easy to see the that technology and
> gameplay is the same. Narbacular Drop is more children friendly and more
> primitive graphics wise, but the portals and resulting gameplay is almost
> exactly the same as in Portal as far as I can see, although perhaps not as
> adrenaline intensive.

The same team indeed worked on it.

As for adrenaline intensivity, Portal is actually quite relaxing,
although the instructor voice in it is quite perplexing.

Also, comparing the graphics between
  http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/narbaculardrop.html
and
  http://bisqwit.iki.fi/kala/snap/portal/
I'd say Portal is less gloomy :)

But one thing that is in Narbacular Drop that would have been
great in Portal would be if you were able to create portals
through portals...

--
Joel Yliluoma - http://bisqwit.iki.fi/
: comprehension = 1 / (2 ^ precision)