POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal : Re: Portal Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 19 Oct 2007 17:10:43
Message: <47191d53$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> (I *still* can't do the double-fling very well. Indeed, I'm still having
>> trouble with a single-fling. It's just very hard to hit the portal...)
>
>   You are probably doing it wrongly and that's why it's so difficult.
>
>   Double-flinging is pretty easy. First find a place where you can do it:
> Basically a vertical surface at a high altitude, with a floor below it
> (both surfaces should obviously allow portals). Create eg. a red portal
> on the vertical surface, and then the blue portal anywhere you like, eg.
> a wall nearby. Step through the blue portal and you will obviously start
> falling down. As you fall down, aim directly down and shoot a new blue
> portal shortly before you hit the ground. -> Fling!
>
>   I think that many people haven't realized this "shoot a new portal
> while you are falling" basic technique, which is why they find it so
> hard.

The main problem is walking through one portal, falling out of the
other, rotating cat-style while in free fall, trying to figure out where
the hell you are and which way you're facing, and... oh wait, I'm on the
ground again. :-S

I think the game would probably be helped if all the walls *weren't*
identical. It's quite disorienting enough walking through random portals
without being easily able to see where you're going / where you just
came from. ;-)

PS. In the time between writing my last post and writing this one, I
re-completed the game with comentary turned on. (Or rather, I
recompleted the second half of it. I did the first half yesterday.) The
commentary is almost overwhelmingly dense at the start, and
dissapointingly sparse towards the end.

Interesting note: The final battle seemed *massively* easier this time.
Maybe because I know what I'm actually trying to do this time round...