POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal : Re: Portal Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal
From: Joel Yliluoma
Date: 18 Oct 2007 03:55:45
Message: <slrnfhe4c0.s6m.bisqwit@bisqwit.iki.fi>
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:15:43 +0200, Rune wrote:
> AFAIK, the people who made Narbacular Drop were the ones later hired by
> Valve to help make Portal, and it's very easy to see the that technology and
> gameplay is the same. Narbacular Drop is more children friendly and more
> primitive graphics wise, but the portals and resulting gameplay is almost
> exactly the same as in Portal as far as I can see, although perhaps not as
> adrenaline intensive.

The same team indeed worked on it.

As for adrenaline intensivity, Portal is actually quite relaxing,
although the instructor voice in it is quite perplexing.

Also, comparing the graphics between
  http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/narbaculardrop.html
and
  http://bisqwit.iki.fi/kala/snap/portal/
I'd say Portal is less gloomy :)

But one thing that is in Narbacular Drop that would have been
great in Portal would be if you were able to create portals
through portals...

--
Joel Yliluoma - http://bisqwit.iki.fi/
: comprehension = 1 / (2 ^ precision)