POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Almost dead computer? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Almost dead computer? (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: St
Subject: Re: Almost dead computer?
Date: 28 Sep 2007 16:56:52
Message: <46fd6a94@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
> This may sound crazy, but if the inside is dusty/dirty (particularly the
> power supply), try blasting it with compressed air and vacuum it out
> *really good*.  I recently had a problem with one of my systems here
> locking up (not exactly the same problem as you) about every 3 hours;
> pulled it open and cleaned it out in a desperate attempt to get it
> working properly, and it hasn't hung up since.

      I've even been *inside* the power supply and cleaned it out! Now
there's a sight for sore eyes!  ;)

       It's amazing how the dust builds up in there.

        ~Steve~

> Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Sep 2007 21:45:31
Message: <46fdae3b$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 21:56:46 +0100, St. wrote:

>      I've even been *inside* the power supply and cleaned it out! Now
> there's a sight for sore eyes!
>
>        It's amazing how the dust builds up in there.

Yeah, it really is.  We've got three cats as well, so not only does dust
end up in there, but cat hair.  I need to replace a couple of the fans,
too - I've got three half-height 5.25" bays with bay fans in them, and at
least one of them has stopped working (the fans have snapped off the
motors).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> When I press the ON button, nothing happens at all.

My guess is power switch, per se. I've got a  box where the power switch
fell out of its casing and now every time I have to turn it on with two
hands and a pencil.

Post a reply to this message

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 21:56:46 +0100, St. wrote:
>
>>      I've even been *inside* the power supply and cleaned it out! Now
>> there's a sight for sore eyes!
>>
>>        It's amazing how the dust builds up in there.
>
> Yeah, it really is.  We've got three cats as well, so not only does dust
> end up in there, but cat hair.  I need to replace a couple of the fans,
> too - I've got three half-height 5.25" bays with bay fans in them, and at
> least one of them has stopped working (the fans have snapped off the
> motors).
>
> Jim

Dust is a big problem for POVers. POV-Ray uses 100% CPU. More CPU usage
= more computer heat. Dusty fan + POV-Ray = very hot CPU.

But then, I run BOINC too, so the CPU on my Pentium IV computer has been
at 100% for around two years (not exactly continuously, uptime record is
27 days). I once cleaned it, then opened it three months later and it
was all dusty again. >_> CPU reached 75°C sometimes (according to Intel
it's the limit; knowing it was not surpassing the limit made me worry less).

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 23:53:21 -0300, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Jim Henderson escribió:
>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 21:56:46 +0100, St. wrote:
>>
>>>      I've even been *inside* the power supply and cleaned it out! Now
>>> there's a sight for sore eyes!
>>>
>>>        It's amazing how the dust builds up in there.
>>
>> Yeah, it really is.  We've got three cats as well, so not only does
>> dust end up in there, but cat hair.  I need to replace a couple of the
>> fans, too - I've got three half-height 5.25" bays with bay fans in
>> them, and at least one of them has stopped working (the fans have
>> snapped off the motors).
>>
>> Jim
>
> Dust is a big problem for POVers. POV-Ray uses 100% CPU. More CPU usage
> = more computer heat. Dusty fan + POV-Ray = very hot CPU.

It does tend to drive the utilization up; in my particular case, the
system isn't used for POV; but I've got a new dual-core Athlon system on
its way next week, and I anticipate it being used for some more
rendering.  I've not done much serious with POV since I had to give my
dual-processor Dell system back to work (changed jobs and it was a lab
machine that the department wanted back).  Pity, because I loaded it up
with memory - it had 4 GB thanks to finding a very difficult-to-find
memory expansion board.

But I miss that system.

> But then, I run BOINC too, so the CPU on my Pentium IV computer has been
> at 100% for around two years (not exactly continuously, uptime record is
> 27 days). I once cleaned it, then opened it three months later and it
> was all dusty again. >_> CPU reached 75°C sometimes (according to Intel
> it's the limit; knowing it was not surpassing the limit made me worry
> less).

That is quite warm, yeah.  My laptop has burned out a couple of times
(but not due to CPU overutilization, more because of a faulty suspend
that would put the fans to sleep but not the CPU or the video card).

Jim

Post a reply to this message