POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Almost dead computer? : Re: Almost dead computer? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Almost dead computer?
From: Rune
Date: 1 Oct 2007 07:51:49
Message: <4700df55@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote in message
>> I'm having problems with my computer again. (Writing from another one.)
>>
>> When I press the ON button, nothing happens at all. Does it have power?
>> Yes - the little green LED on the motherboard is lit just fine. I just
>> can't turn the thing on...!
>>
>> Any suggestions what to do, or even just finding out in which part of the
>> computer the problem lies?
>> (Remember that I am totally clueless when it comes to hardware...)
>
> As Warp said, likely the PSU, or just the On switch has
> broken/disconnected. You're going to have to get inside the PC to diagnose
> the problem further.
>
> Step 1 : Unplug the big connector that goes onto the mainboard from the
> PSU. It will have 20 or 30 small cables going into it all different
> colours. Once unplugged, look for the green one (there should only be one,
> pin 14 IIRC) and then find a black one (probably more than one).  With
> power disconnected, insert a paper-clip (or a bit of wire) into the socket
> where the green and black cables are, thus joining them together.  Then
> turn on the mains, the PSU should spin-up.  If it doesn't get a new PSU.

I don't like this approach. Though I have found a green and a black wire,
I'm not 100% certain I understand what you mean I should do with them, and I
don't like risking damaging my hardware (or myself).

Isn't there some way to test the PSU without using paper clips or cables? I
have an old motherboard I don't need that can be used for plugging the PSU
in if it helps any...

> 2) If the PSU is working ok then next check the On switch is working.
> Look where the on switch is connected to the mainboard (usually in the
> bottom corner somewhere) and unplug it.

Problem here is that several cables are coming from a closed area of my
case, so I can't see which one is for the On-switch and which is for reset,
LEDs etc. I can't even imagine how to open this part of the case - I can't
see any obvious screws to unscrew... Can I deduce it from where the cables
are plugged in? I found this image of my motherboard:
http://www.thetrailingedge.com/images/products/asus-a8n-sli-big.jpg

> Try jumping the two connectors on the mainboard with a paper-clip again.

Won't that equal to holding down the On-switch = signalling a shut-down?

> If the computer works then you have a problem with the On switch.  If it
> doesn't then you have a problem with the motherboard. You could then try
> forcing the PSU to start by jumping the green and black wires as in step
> 1) while it is connected to the mainboard.

I don't understand how the wires can be jumped while the cable is
simultaneously plugged in. I don't think I'm skilled enough with hardware to
operate at this level.

Rune