POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Almost dead computer? : Re: Almost dead computer? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:46:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Almost dead computer?
From: tom millican
Date: 2 Oct 2007 17:48:27
Message: <4702bcab@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:

> Ok, I tried plugging in the PSU to my old computer, and it correctly
> started humming and could be turned on and off with that computer's
> ON-switch. It also made some beeping. PSU fault ruled out.
>
> Back to problem computer I wanted to test if the On-switch was at fault.
> There was a cable labeled M/BSW that was plugged into some pins labeled
> PWRSW so I guess that's the On-switch one. I tried unplugging that cable
> and replacing it with a jumper while the power was off. That I turned the
> power on and ... nothing happened.
>
> So what does that mean? Can I be completely sure that the motherboard is
> the fault, or...?
>
> Rune
Are the B-line capacitors on the motherboard OK? We had a dell that controls
one of our mass spectrometers blow its "b-line" capacitors on the
motherboard with similar results to what you describe. You can usually tell
by looking at them if they're bad or not.
http://www.windows-help-central.com/windows-xp-shutdown-automatically.html