POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Multicore insanity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:39 EDT (-0400)
  Multicore insanity (Message 21 to 30 of 58)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: Multicore insanity
Date: 9 Sep 2007 06:07:12
Message: <46e3c5d0@news.povray.org>
news:46e3bc69@news.povray.org...
> Warp wrote:
>
> >> As I understand it, XP Home supports multiple cores but is limited to a
> >> single processor. XP Pro supports multiple cores and is limited to two
> >> processors.
> >
> >   How that makes any sense is anybody's guess.
>
> It makes perfect sense. M$ charge you more money this way. ;-)

Its marketing. Only offer a single version loaded with features and people
will complain that it's too expensive and contains loads of stuff they don't
need. Offer multiple versions with different feature sets and more people
will buy.

Software's not the only place that's done.

Look at BMW. They're a classic example. Often the only difference between
certain BMW models is the software, not the engines.

Post a reply to this message

>> It makes perfect sense. M$ charge you more money this way. ;-)
>
> Its marketing. Only offer a single version loaded with features and people
> will complain that it's too expensive and contains loads of stuff they don't
> need. Offer multiple versions with different feature sets and more people
> will buy.

There's a difference between a "feature" that takes effort to implement,
and an artificial limitation that exists only for the purpose of revenue
generation.

E.g., Server 2003 Standard 64-bit supports 32 GB RAM, while Server 2003
Enterprise 64-bit supports 1 TB. There is absolutely no cause for this
difference other than an artificially-added limitation. It's just as
easy to implement either. (Indeed, arguably it's *more* work to add the
limitation...)

> Software's not the only place that's done.

Something we can agree on...

> Look at BMW. They're a classic example. Often the only difference between
> certain BMW models is the software, not the engines.

Really? I thought the difference was the leather seats...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

> E.g., Server 2003 Standard 64-bit supports 32 GB RAM, while Server 2003
> Enterprise 64-bit supports 1 TB. There is absolutely no cause for this
> difference other than an artificially-added limitation. It's just as
> easy to implement either. (Indeed, arguably it's *more* work to add the
> limitation...)

True, but my point was that if you only offer a version with everything and
the kitchen sink, less people would buy, because they don't want to pay for
what they don't need. Less sales means that the prices for the One Version
with Everything would have to be higher so make the same revenues (and
shareholders require that revenues only go up not down)

My bet is that the current multi-version hell of Vista is due to market
research on what people would buy. It would not have just been one dumb
exco's idea that stuck.

> > Look at BMW. They're a classic example. Often the only difference
between
> > certain BMW models is the software, not the engines.
>
> Really? I thought the difference was the leather seats...

*g*

Some (many?) of the models have limitations in the software to make them
slightly less powerful than the next model up

Post a reply to this message

>> E.g., Server 2003 Standard 64-bit supports 32 GB RAM, while Server 2003
>> Enterprise 64-bit supports 1 TB. There is absolutely no cause for this
>> difference other than an artificially-added limitation. It's just as
>> easy to implement either. (Indeed, arguably it's *more* work to add the
>> limitation...)
>
> True, but my point was that if you only offer a version with everything and
> the kitchen sink, less people would buy, because they don't want to pay for
> what they don't need. Less sales means that the prices for the One Version
> with Everything would have to be higher so make the same revenues (and
> shareholders require that revenues only go up not down)

Sure, offering a version that doesn't contain expensive stuff that
people don't need is a sensible strategy. But deliberately disabling
functionallity that doesn't cost anything, just so you can charge money
for it? That smacks of cheating...

Take WinXP Home vs Pro. The Pro has SMB networking, the Home doesn't. If
you're a home user, you geniunely won't give a **** that SMB isn't
there. And SMB is a complicated technology; it costs money to make that
stuff.

What we're talking about here is software that has the ability to do
something, with no additional effort, but that function has been
purposefully disabled so the manufacturer can charge money for it - even
though it doesn't cost them anything.

> My bet is that the current multi-version hell of Vista is due to market
> research on what people would buy. It would not have just been one dumb
> exco's idea that stuck.

Oh, I'm sure they *very* carefully planned the whole thing. (How long
has this software been in development now?)

> Some (many?) of the models have limitations in the software to make them
> slightly less powerful than the next model up

Oh, that's really cute. Is there also a black market in devices to
"crack" the limiter and get all the available power from the engine?

(Back in my day, the less expensive car would have an engie with
physically smaller cylinders... Which is weird, really, because that way
it has more metal in it, and metal is presumably more expensive than air...)

But then, Intel's low-end chips are actually high-end chips that didn't
quite pass QC, so they turned the clock speed down a bit. :-S

As should be abundantly evident, I've never owned a BMW. (And it's
unlikely I ever will...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message