POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Multicore insanity : Re: Multicore insanity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multicore insanity
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 9 Sep 2007 06:07:12
Message: <46e3c5d0@news.povray.org>
news:46e3bc69@news.povray.org...
> Warp wrote:
>
> >> As I understand it, XP Home supports multiple cores but is limited to a
> >> single processor. XP Pro supports multiple cores and is limited to two
> >> processors.
> >
> >   How that makes any sense is anybody's guess.
>
> It makes perfect sense. M$ charge you more money this way. ;-)

Its marketing. Only offer a single version loaded with features and people
will complain that it's too expensive and contains loads of stuff they don't
need. Offer multiple versions with different feature sets and more people
will buy.

Software's not the only place that's done.

Look at BMW. They're a classic example. Often the only difference between
certain BMW models is the software, not the engines.