POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Multicore insanity : Re: Multicore insanity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multicore insanity
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 9 Sep 2007 08:20:20
Message: <46e3e504@news.povray.org>
news:46e3d60f$1@news.povray.org...
> E.g., Server 2003 Standard 64-bit supports 32 GB RAM, while Server 2003
> Enterprise 64-bit supports 1 TB. There is absolutely no cause for this
> difference other than an artificially-added limitation. It's just as
> easy to implement either. (Indeed, arguably it's *more* work to add the
> limitation...)

True, but my point was that if you only offer a version with everything and
the kitchen sink, less people would buy, because they don't want to pay for
what they don't need. Less sales means that the prices for the One Version
with Everything would have to be higher so make the same revenues (and
shareholders require that revenues only go up not down)

My bet is that the current multi-version hell of Vista is due to market
research on what people would buy. It would not have just been one dumb
exco's idea that stuck.

> > Look at BMW. They're a classic example. Often the only difference
between
> > certain BMW models is the software, not the engines.
>
> Really? I thought the difference was the leather seats...

*g*

Some (many?) of the models have limitations in the software to make them
slightly less powerful than the next model up