POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Multicore insanity : Re: Multicore insanity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multicore insanity
From: Chambers
Date: 9 Sep 2007 13:50:15
Message: <46e43257$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Fredrik Eriksson <noo### [at] nowherecom> wrote:
>> As I understand it, XP Home supports multiple cores but is limited to a
>> single processor. XP Pro supports multiple cores and is limited to two
>> processors.
>
>   How that makes any sense is anybody's guess.

It's not that unreasonable, and stems from how you define a single
"computer".  Once you get into networked clusters ("Beowulf" and such),
you could really consider several traditional PCs linked together as one
system.  Or, you could plug several keyboards / mice / displays into a
single computer.  Either way, companies see this as a means of avoiding
licensing fees, being that many companies charge license fees based on
the number of systems a particular piece of software is installed on.

MS for once took a reasonable approach to this, and decided to charge
per core.  The vast majority of home users won't be affected.
Professionals with dual socket workstations will buy the "Pro" version,
but they would probably buy it anyway.  Servers will run the Windows
Server rather than XP, so they aren't really affected either.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com