POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Radiosity example Server Time
8 May 2024 16:10:53 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity example (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: taftj
Subject: Radiosity example
Date: 6 Nov 2012 01:00:04
Message: <web.5098a702d2be5305aaeb765e0@news.povray.org>
Could somebody kindly post complete code for a very simple scene that uses
radiosity?  Maybe a white plane with a white box and nothing else.  No matter
what I try, I get either blackness or no effect.  Something's not clicking I
guess :(

Thank you!

Post a reply to this message

> Could somebody kindly post complete code for a very simple scene that uses
> radiosity?  Maybe a white plane with a white box and nothing else.  No matter
> what I try, I get either blackness or no effect.  Something's not clicking I
> guess :(
>
> Thank you!

Take one of the basic scenes from the Insert Menu, and add the following
block (using version 3.7 btw):

global_settings {
   adc_bailout 0.003922
   assumed_gamma 1.0
   max_trace_level 10
   number_of_waves 10
   noise_generator 2
   radiosity {
     brightness       1.0
     count            100, 500
     error_bound      1.8
     gray_threshold   0.0
     low_error_factor 0.5
     minimum_reuse    0.015
     nearest_count    10, 5
     recursion_limit  2
     adc_bailout      0.01
     media            off
     normal           off
     always_sample    off
     pretrace_start   0.08
     pretrace_end     0.004
   }
}

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Could somebody kindly post complete code for a very simple scene that uses
> radiosity?  Maybe a white plane with a white box and nothing else.  No matter
> what I try, I get either blackness or no effect.  Something's not clicking I
> guess :(

Try this:

#default {finish {ambient 0}}

#include "colors.inc"
#include "rad_def.inc"

global_settings
{
   assumed_gamma 1.0
   radiosity {Rad_Settings(Radiosity_Normal, off, off)}
}

camera
{
   location  <0.0, 1.0, -3.0>
   look_at   <0.0, 1.0,  0.0>
   angle 90
}

light_source {< -10,  10, -10> color White}

sphere
{
   0, 1000 pigment {color SkyBlue} hollow
}

plane {y, 0 pigment{checker color White color Black}}

sphere {y,1 pigment {color White}}

Post a reply to this message

> > Could somebody kindly post complete code for a very simple scene that uses
> > radiosity?  Maybe a white plane with a white box and nothing else.  No matter
> > what I try, I get either blackness or no effect.  Something's not clicking I
> > guess :(
>
> Try this:
>

> #default {finish {ambient 0}}
>
> #include "colors.inc"
> #include "rad_def.inc"
>
> global_settings
> {
>    assumed_gamma 1.0
>    radiosity {Rad_Settings(Radiosity_Normal, off, off)}
> }
>
> camera
> {
>    location  <0.0, 1.0, -3.0>
>    look_at   <0.0, 1.0,  0.0>
>    angle 90
> }
>

> light_source {< -10,  10, -10> color White}
>
> sphere
> {
>    0, 1000 pigment {color SkyBlue} hollow
> }
>
> plane {y, 0 pigment{checker color White color Black}}
>
> sphere {y,1 pigment {color White}}

Thank you- that did work, but apparently I'm still not understanding something
because when I remove the light source I see blackness.  I thought the point of
radiosity was that there was some "general" light without needing a specific
light source.

So I was expecting that even without an explicitly defined light source there
would still be some light.

Kind of like this:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/images/tutorial/radB_01.jpg

I also tried making the SkyBlue sphere glow by adding finish{ambient 1} to it's
definition, but still got blackness.  What am I missing?

Post a reply to this message

> Christian Froeschlin <chr### [at] chrfrde> wrote:
>> taftj wrote:
>>> Could somebody kindly post complete code for a very simple scene that uses
>>> radiosity?  Maybe a white plane with a white box and nothing else.  No matter
>>> what I try, I get either blackness or no effect.  Something's not clicking I
>>> guess :(
>>
>> Try this:
>>

>> #default {finish {ambient 0}}
>>
>> #include "colors.inc"
>> #include "rad_def.inc"
>>
>> global_settings
>> {
>>     assumed_gamma 1.0
>>     radiosity {Rad_Settings(Radiosity_Normal, off, off)}
>> }
>>
>> camera
>> {
>>     location  <0.0, 1.0, -3.0>
>>     look_at   <0.0, 1.0,  0.0>
>>     angle 90
>> }
>>

>> light_source {< -10,  10, -10> color White}
>>
>> sphere
>> {
>>     0, 1000 pigment {color SkyBlue} hollow
>> }
>>
>> plane {y, 0 pigment{checker color White color Black}}
>>
>> sphere {y,1 pigment {color White}}
>
> Thank you- that did work, but apparently I'm still not understanding something
> because when I remove the light source I see blackness.  I thought the point of
> radiosity was that there was some "general" light without needing a specific
> light source.
>
> So I was expecting that even without an explicitly defined light source there
> would still be some light.
>
> Kind of like this:
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/images/tutorial/radB_01.jpg
>
> I also tried making the SkyBlue sphere glow by adding finish{ambient 1} to it's
> definition, but still got blackness.  What am I missing?

Because if using radiosity is used any ambient term are effectively zero
... try emission instead

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Finish#Emission

Post a reply to this message