POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Radiosity example : Re: Radiosity example Server Time
19 May 2024 17:55:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity example
From: taftj
Date: 7 Nov 2012 22:10:00
Message: <web.509b2221108ff70baaeb765e0@news.povray.org>
> taftj wrote:
> > Could somebody kindly post complete code for a very simple scene that uses
> > radiosity?  Maybe a white plane with a white box and nothing else.  No matter
> > what I try, I get either blackness or no effect.  Something's not clicking I
> > guess :(
>
> Try this:
>

> #default {finish {ambient 0}}
>
> #include "colors.inc"
> #include "rad_def.inc"
>
> global_settings
> {
>    assumed_gamma 1.0
>    radiosity {Rad_Settings(Radiosity_Normal, off, off)}
> }
>
> camera
> {
>    location  <0.0, 1.0, -3.0>
>    look_at   <0.0, 1.0,  0.0>
>    angle 90
> }
>

> light_source {< -10,  10, -10> color White}
>
> sphere
> {
>    0, 1000 pigment {color SkyBlue} hollow
> }
>
> plane {y, 0 pigment{checker color White color Black}}
>
> sphere {y,1 pigment {color White}}

Thank you- that did work, but apparently I'm still not understanding something
because when I remove the light source I see blackness.  I thought the point of
radiosity was that there was some "general" light without needing a specific
light source.

So I was expecting that even without an explicitly defined light source there
would still be some light.

Kind of like this:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/images/tutorial/radB_01.jpg

I also tried making the SkyBlue sphere glow by adding finish{ambient 1} to it's
definition, but still got blackness.  What am I missing?