POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Radiosity example : Re: Radiosity example Server Time
19 May 2024 21:56:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity example
From: Todd Carnes
Date: 19 Jun 2013 10:48:59
Message: <51c1c4db@news.povray.org>
On 11/6/2012 3:14 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 6-11-2012 6:58, taftj wrote:
>> Could somebody kindly post complete code for a very simple scene that
>> uses
>> radiosity?  Maybe a white plane with a white box and nothing else.  No
>> matter
>> what I try, I get either blackness or no effect.  Something's not
>> clicking I
>> guess :(
>>
>> Thank you!
>>

> Take one of the basic scenes from the Insert Menu, and add the following
> block (using version 3.7 btw):
>
> global_settings {
>   adc_bailout 0.003922
>   assumed_gamma 1.0
>   max_trace_level 10
>   number_of_waves 10
>   noise_generator 2
>   radiosity {
>     brightness       1.0
>     count            100, 500
>     error_bound      1.8
>     gray_threshold   0.0
>     low_error_factor 0.5
>     minimum_reuse    0.015
>     nearest_count    10, 5
>     recursion_limit  2
>     adc_bailout      0.01
>     media            off
>     normal           off
>     always_sample    off
>     pretrace_start   0.08
>     pretrace_end     0.004
>   }
> }
>
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I know this is kind of an old message, but I'm hoping you are still out
there...

I tried your suggestion with several of the canned examples from the
insert menu and have found an unexpected (by me) result.

On scenes such as Basic_Scene_05: Grass with small clouds in sky, your
settings cause the sky to go from a bright sunny blue sky in the
original scene, to a dark, grey, stormy-looking sky.

I was wondering if you, or anyone else, could explain what is going on.

I'm using POVray 3.7 RC7.

Todd