POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : New User Question about Variable Density Fog Server Time
30 Jun 2024 14:33:25 EDT (-0400)
  New User Question about Variable Density Fog (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: sirzerp
Subject: New User Question about Variable Density Fog
Date: 7 Apr 2011 13:20:01
Message: <web.4d9df06f7bfe85a44aa13930@news.povray.org>
Hi Y'all

I'm a new pov user (physics grad student) and I want to do a project that seems
both simple and complex at the same time.

The simple thing is that I want to do a plane of fog with a single inplane light
source and to view it from above.  I have a background with c++ and autocad, and
am pretty sure I can figure this part out.

The hard thing is that I want the fog to have either variable density and/or a
medium with a variable index of refraction.  Either one.

I'm doing this so I can view some data from an experiment.  The data I want to
view is in the form of 480x480x1 arrays, stored either as a fit or bmp or tiff
file.

So, a plane of fog and light source is surely doable.  Linking fog density to a
grid of numbers and thus importing the numbers into the script seems much
harder.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Is what I want to do possible?

I have looked at scripting language and documentation but it looks like I could
spend years figuring out all the options.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Post a reply to this message