POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : New User Question about Variable Density Fog : Re: New User Question about Variable Density Fog Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:33:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New User Question about Variable Density Fog
From: sirzerp
Date: 11 May 2011 11:40:01
Message: <web.4dcaad398c9a231b3050e770@news.povray.org>
Thank you for posting your code.  My advisor wants me to switch from varible
scatter to varible IOR, so it should come in very handy.  I wish I had a 2500K
I7, Hex AMD's only can do so much :)

On the other hand, look what I did with varible scatter.

http://www.scivee.tv/node/29097

That's the magnetic field in ways it has never been seen before.  I did it with
about 300 lines of GPU cuda C code that makes the density files and povray that
displays them.  I feed a small job file to the cuda code that defines the
locations of the magnets, not unlike objects in povray.

Question, if there Povray coders out there that would like to collaborate and
merge my code into povray?

Being able to display magnetic/electric fields would be big plus for the
scientific community.  The packages that I know of, cost thousands of dollars,
and take clusters of computers.

I'm doing it with free 3.7 povray, a $200 hex core cpu and a $90 GPU.

Cuda is C based and I believe povray is C++ based, I am sure a good programmer
could merge the two, add some new type EM objects and be off the races in a
weeks time.

Quick question, is there anyway to generate density filenames based on the
clock?  I would like to have slightly different named density files for each
frame if it was possible.