POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : New User Question about Variable Density Fog : Re: New User Question about Variable Density Fog Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:46:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New User Question about Variable Density Fog
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 7 Apr 2011 15:25:33
Message: <4d9e0fad$1@news.povray.org>
sirzerp wrote:

> So, a plane of fog and light source is surely doable.  Linking fog
> density to a grid of numbers and thus importing the numbers into the
> script seems much harder.

Povray supports so-called density files that are basically a
3d grid of numbers. Have a look at df3 in the docs (3.5.11.13
for POV-Ray 3.7 RC3). I don't think many tools exist for that
but the format is very simple.

Such an imported density can be used for scattering media,
which basically gives you fog based on variable density.