POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : New User Question about Variable Density Fog : Re: New User Question about Variable Density Fog Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:49:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New User Question about Variable Density Fog
From: sirzerp
Date: 15 Apr 2011 13:05:01
Message: <web.4da8787d8c9a231ce72fa320@news.povray.org>
"waggy" <hon### [at] handbasketorg> wrote:
> Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> > As for variable ior, sory, that's not possible, and may never be.
> > It may be simulated to a sertain degree by giving your object an ior and
> > altering it's normal according to some pattern.
> >
> Though it is painfully slow, a merge of a grid of boxes, each with its own ior,
> does seem to work as expected.

Sounds good.  How would you tie the file data to the box grid? Can you post your
test code?  Variable ior would be really good, but I can live with variable
scatter. :)

I found a good link at http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/df3/

My orginal data is 3d, so the link looks very promising.

I assume DF3 is the only supported file format?  Would be nice if DF3 supported
floats, but gee, you can't have anything.  I probably could write a matlab
float2df3 util, but there's some 'c' code posted on the linked wavepage.

Life is good,

Thanks y'all for the posts.