POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Concentric lines around faded area light Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:54:55 EDT (-0400)
  Concentric lines around faded area light (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Der Minimalist
Subject: Concentric lines around faded area light
Date: 23 Sep 2010 05:40:00
Message: <web.4c9b1f2b6e63e33d3a5785950@news.povray.org>
I hope you can help me out with the following:

I use several area lights in my scene which highlight objects on a somewhat
reflective plane. However, the light doesn't fall off completely smoothly but
there seem to be darker concentric lines around the highlighted areas. The lines
are virtually absent (or overlapped) in well light areas but become noticable
(with decreasing interval) in parts where the light starts to fade.

I've tried to google my way to a solution and I've adjusted every light setting
I could think of, but no luck. Since I'm a noob at pov-ray I was hoping that one
of you could help me out with this.

Btw, my monitor is set to 32-bit colors and the effect is visible in different
viewing programs.

Here is the code stripped to the bare minimum. The concentric lines are best
visible from an upward angle:

#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"

camera { location <6, 10, -10>

look_at <2,0,-0.3> angle 60
translate x*-2
translate z*-2
}

light_source {
        <0,15,0>
        color rgb <.8, .7, .6>*1
fade_distance 7 fade_power 1.2
area_light x*3, y*3, 12, 12  adaptive 0 circular orient jitter

}

//Appearance surface of plane
#declare Surface =
texture {