POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Concentric lines around faded area light : Re: Concentric lines around faded area light Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:59:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Concentric lines around faded area light
From: Alain
Date: 24 Sep 2010 14:10:42
Message: <4c9ce9a2$1@news.povray.org>

> Well, after some more surfing I was lucky enough to end up with an article which
> shows precisely what I mean. It is actually an article of clipka!
>
> link: http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Clipka/Gamma
>
> The two grey colored pictures of a ball show the banding on the plane (and also
> the ball itself) that I also have in my scene.
>
> Unfortunately the suggestion of clipka to output to OpenEXR in pov-ray 3.7, only
> made the banding worse than ever :( (when opening the exr in photoshop cs4)
>
> Since the picture is to appear in a magazine soon I am in desperate need of a
> solution!

Another way to add some noise to your plane.
Use micro normals.
Change your plane to:

plane
{ y, -1.4
   texture {Surface}
   normal{granite 0.02 scale 0.0001}
}

This will make the reflection somewhat blurry.

If the image is to be printed, the printing process itself will
introduce a fair amount of noise and dithering that can do a LOT in
hiding the banding.
By the way, that banding can appears in low contrast parts of photographies.

Alain