POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Concentric lines around faded area light : Re: Concentric lines around faded area light Server Time
4 Jul 2024 15:42:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Concentric lines around faded area light
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 24 Sep 2010 11:10:52
Message: <4c9cbf7c@news.povray.org>
Der_Minimalist wrote:

> Unfortunately the suggestion of clipka to output to OpenEXR in pov-ray 3.7, only
> made the banding worse than ever :( (when opening the exr in photoshop cs4)

the key word here was "dithering". Just using an output format
with a higher resolution does not give you any benefit when viewing
it on a normal 32-bit display.

It might help the printing process but I'm no expert on supported
file formats for professional printing. Actually, I'm not even sure
banding will be a problem when in print.

Anyway, just opening the image in photoshop is not enough,
you need to explicitly apply color reduction to 32-bit (don't know
the exact command in photoshop, sorry), and select options to
soften the banding by using "patterns" of pixels with different
gray values (this is similar in effect to the crand finish but
more controlled). Many printing processes also use dithering
to achieve gray levels with just one level of "ink" color.