POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : height_field tutorial Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  height_field tutorial (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: woodcarver
Subject: height_field tutorial
Date: 16 Jun 2005 16:35:01
Message: <web.42b1e2561a3a8c458e775780@news.povray.org>
hi:
I am following the height_field tutorial "to the letter", the first part
renders great, the second part however I get a parse error: "cannot open
..tga file". I've tried everything that I can think of, still get the same
error.
I have the latest version of POV-RAY.
It appears that the renderer is looking for a file to open, but there is no
path for it to follow.
Is there a way to fix this? or am I missing something?

Thanks  woodcarver

Post a reply to this message

woodcarver nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-06-16 16:34:
> hi:
> I am following the height_field tutorial "to the letter", the first part
> renders great, the second part however I get a parse error: "cannot open
> ..tga file". I've tried everything that I can think of, still get the same
> error.
> I have the latest version of POV-RAY.
> It appears that the renderer is looking for a file to open, but there is no
> path for it to follow.
> Is there a way to fix this? or am I missing something?
>
> Thanks  woodcarver

Check that the requested file does exists, where it's suposed to be. It must match the
name and
extention, and be on the correct path.
If you find a file with the correct name, but of a different extention, you can alter
the scene to
make the requested name match the one that you actualy have.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Date: 16 Jun 2005 22:32:54
Message: <C0XjiEARCjsCFwhN@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it woodcarver who wrote:
>hi:
>I am following the height_field tutorial "to the letter", the first part
>renders great, the second part however I get a parse error: "cannot open
>..tga file". I've tried everything that I can think of, still get the same
>error.
>I have the latest version of POV-RAY.
>It appears that the renderer is looking for a file to open, but there is no
>path for it to follow.
>Is there a way to fix this? or am I missing something?

Did you read this bit about the rendering of image.pov?

  Note: Windows users, unless you specify +FT as above, you will get a
  .BMP file (which is the default Windows version output). In this case
  you will need to use sys instead of tga in the height_field statement
  below.

Also, if you've reconfigured the output file path, you'll need to move
image.tga that you create from that output folder back into the same
folder as hfdemo.pov.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

From: woodcarver
Date: 17 Jun 2005 08:45:01
Message: <web.42b2c5c397a3aae4e6b28e70@news.povray.org>
Hi:
I have not changed the out-put path, default works just fine, the first
rendering is in the scenes folder- which is where the others are also.
the renderer just won't recognise that the image.pov is there.
As for the rendering settings; I've rendered with all 3 types of settings:
with +FT, without, and without AA.

Thanks  woodcarver

Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> Wasn't it woodcarver who wrote:
> >hi:
> >I am following the height_field tutorial "to the letter", the first part
> >renders great, the second part however I get a parse error: "cannot open
> >..tga file". I've tried everything that I can think of, still get the same
> >error.
> >I have the latest version of POV-RAY.
> >It appears that the renderer is looking for a file to open, but there is no
> >path for it to follow.
> >Is there a way to fix this? or am I missing something?
>
> Did you read this bit about the rendering of image.pov?
>
>   Note: Windows users, unless you specify +FT as above, you will get a
>   .BMP file (which is the default Windows version output). In this case
>   you will need to use sys instead of tga in the height_field statement
>   below.
>
> Also, if you've reconfigured the output file path, you'll need to move
> image.tga that you create from that output folder back into the same
> folder as hfdemo.pov.
>
> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

From: woodcarver
Date: 17 Jun 2005 08:50:00
Message: <web.42b2c65e97a3aae4e6b28e70@news.povray.org>

From: woodcarver
Date: 17 Jun 2005 12:25:00
Message: <web.42b2f7fc97a3aae4e6b28e70@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> Wasn't it woodcarver who wrote:
> >hi:
> >I am following the height_field tutorial "to the letter", the first part
> >renders great, the second part however I get a parse error: "cannot open
> >..tga file". I've tried everything that I can think of, still get the same
> >error.
> >I have the latest version of POV-RAY.
> >It appears that the renderer is looking for a file to open, but there is no
> >path for it to follow.
> >Is there a way to fix this? or am I missing something?
>
> Did you read this bit about the rendering of image.pov?
>
>   Note: Windows users, unless you specify +FT as above, you will get a
>   .BMP file (which is the default Windows version output). In this case
>   you will need to use sys instead of tga in the height_field statement
>   below.
>
> Also, if you've reconfigured the output file path, you'll need to move
> image.tga that you create from that output folder back into the same
> folder as hfdemo.pov.
>
> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

Hi:
I haven't reconfigured the paths,default works fine. I have rendered with
+FT, without it,  and with/without AA, makes no difference. All of the
scenes that I've rendered or saved are in the 'scenes' folder-default I'm
assuming.
The image.tga is there, but when the code is run for hfdemo.pov it acts as
if there is no path for the call to follow--hence the error. Strange to say
the least, however I will double-check the default path again just to make
sure.

woodcarver

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 17 Jun 2005 15:30:29
Message: <42b324d5@news.povray.org>
woodcarver nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-06-17 12:19:
> Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
>
>>Wasn't it woodcarver who wrote:
>>
>>>hi:
>>>I am following the height_field tutorial "to the letter", the first part
>>>renders great, the second part however I get a parse error: "cannot open
>>>..tga file". I've tried everything that I can think of, still get the same
>>>error.
>>>I have the latest version of POV-RAY.
>>>It appears that the renderer is looking for a file to open, but there is no
>>>path for it to follow.
>>>Is there a way to fix this? or am I missing something?
>>
>>Did you read this bit about the rendering of image.pov?
>>
>>  Note: Windows users, unless you specify +FT as above, you will get a
>>  .BMP file (which is the default Windows version output). In this case
>>  you will need to use sys instead of tga in the height_field statement
>>  below.
>>
>>Also, if you've reconfigured the output file path, you'll need to move
>>image.tga that you create from that output folder back into the same
>>folder as hfdemo.pov.
>>
>>--
>>Mike Williams
>>Gentleman of Leisure
>

> Hi:
> I haven't reconfigured the paths,default works fine. I have rendered with
> +FT, without it,  and with/without AA, makes no difference. All of the
> scenes that I've rendered or saved are in the 'scenes' folder-default I'm
> assuming.
> The image.tga is there, but when the code is run for hfdemo.pov it acts as
> if there is no path for the call to follow--hence the error. Strange to say
> the least, however I will double-check the default path again just to make
> sure.
>
> woodcarver

If you have'nt changed anything from the default, then it will save the output image
as a *.BMP in
the same folder as the *.POV source file.
hfdemo.pov is the source, plain text, file. It's NOT an image.
It output an image named hfdemo.bmp when running under windows.
AA is antialiasing. It change the image generated by smoothing the jagginess of
oblique and circular
edges.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Date: 17 Jun 2005 23:35:22
Message: <42b3967a$1@news.povray.org>
Hiya woodcarver.

Strange that you say program defaults are used and it wouldn't do this
tutorial correctly.

I gave that tutorial a try myself here, just now, to make sure something
wasn't wrong with it.

I put an original povray.ini file (I had renamed to save from my changes)
into the "renderer" subfolder, so I'm running the program as originally
installed. Output image files write to where the scene file is, regardless
of the 'pov' file location.

It checks out okay, here, so I removed the image.tga from the scenes folder
and retried rendering hfdemo.pov and then got the error you told of. That's
the only explanation I can think of--  that it probably doesn't exist in the
scenes folder.

The way I understood your followup message it seemed you did see the
image.tga file with the scenes (pov) files. But now I realize you might only
be seeing the .pov files, which could explain why Alain is saying what he
has said, that perhaps you're confusing pov files for rendered images. I was
getting confused while reading that. :)

You just need to locate the rendering of your  image.pov  scene file, which
will be  image.tga  because of the +FT output type command switch, since the
tutorial requires you to use it. At least prove it doesn't (or does) exist
and figure out why from there.

Bob Hughes

Post a reply to this message

From: woodcarver
Date: 20 Jun 2005 06:35:00
Message: <web.42b69b3197a3aae4e6b28e70@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" <bob### [at] charternet> wrote:
> Hiya woodcarver.
>
> Strange that you say program defaults are used and it wouldn't do this
> tutorial correctly.
>
> I gave that tutorial a try myself here, just now, to make sure something
> wasn't wrong with it.
>
> I put an original povray.ini file (I had renamed to save from my changes)
> into the "renderer" subfolder, so I'm running the program as originally
> installed. Output image files write to where the scene file is, regardless
> of the 'pov' file location.
>
> It checks out okay, here, so I removed the image.tga from the scenes folder
> and retried rendering hfdemo.pov and then got the error you told of. That's
> the only explanation I can think of--  that it probably doesn't exist in the
> scenes folder.
>
> The way I understood your followup message it seemed you did see the
> image.tga file with the scenes (pov) files. But now I realize you might only
> be seeing the .pov files, which could explain why Alain is saying what he
> has said, that perhaps you're confusing pov files for rendered images. I was
> getting confused while reading that. :)
>
> You just need to locate the rendering of your  image.pov  scene file, which
> will be  image.tga  because of the +FT output type command switch, since the
> tutorial requires you to use it. At least prove it doesn't (or does) exist
> and figure out why from there.
>
> Bob Hughes

Thanks Bob, I will definately take another look-see, It is very possible
that I'm confused; I don't have a whole lot of time to work on this project
at one
"sitting", working 2 fullTime jobs!

woodcarver