POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : height_field tutorial : Re: height_field tutorial Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: height_field tutorial
From: Alain
Date: 17 Jun 2005 15:30:29
Message: <42b324d5@news.povray.org>
woodcarver nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-06-17 12:19:
> Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
>
>>Wasn't it woodcarver who wrote:
>>
>>>hi:
>>>I am following the height_field tutorial "to the letter", the first part
>>>renders great, the second part however I get a parse error: "cannot open
>>>..tga file". I've tried everything that I can think of, still get the same
>>>error.
>>>I have the latest version of POV-RAY.
>>>It appears that the renderer is looking for a file to open, but there is no
>>>path for it to follow.
>>>Is there a way to fix this? or am I missing something?
>>
>>Did you read this bit about the rendering of image.pov?
>>
>>  Note: Windows users, unless you specify +FT as above, you will get a
>>  .BMP file (which is the default Windows version output). In this case
>>  you will need to use sys instead of tga in the height_field statement
>>  below.
>>
>>Also, if you've reconfigured the output file path, you'll need to move
>>image.tga that you create from that output folder back into the same
>>folder as hfdemo.pov.
>>
>>--
>>Mike Williams
>>Gentleman of Leisure
>

> Hi:
> I haven't reconfigured the paths,default works fine. I have rendered with
> +FT, without it,  and with/without AA, makes no difference. All of the
> scenes that I've rendered or saved are in the 'scenes' folder-default I'm
> assuming.
> The image.tga is there, but when the code is run for hfdemo.pov it acts as
> if there is no path for the call to follow--hence the error. Strange to say
> the least, however I will double-check the default path again just to make
> sure.
>
> woodcarver

If you have'nt changed anything from the default, then it will save the output image
as a *.BMP in
the same folder as the *.POV source file.
hfdemo.pov is the source, plain text, file. It's NOT an image.
It output an image named hfdemo.bmp when running under windows.
AA is antialiasing. It change the image generated by smoothing the jagginess of
oblique and circular
edges.

Alain