POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : height_field tutorial : Re: height_field tutorial Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: height_field tutorial
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 17 Jun 2005 23:35:22
Message: <42b3967a$1@news.povray.org>
Hiya woodcarver.

Strange that you say program defaults are used and it wouldn't do this
tutorial correctly.

I gave that tutorial a try myself here, just now, to make sure something
wasn't wrong with it.

I put an original povray.ini file (I had renamed to save from my changes)
into the "renderer" subfolder, so I'm running the program as originally
installed. Output image files write to where the scene file is, regardless
of the 'pov' file location.

It checks out okay, here, so I removed the image.tga from the scenes folder
and retried rendering hfdemo.pov and then got the error you told of. That's
the only explanation I can think of--  that it probably doesn't exist in the
scenes folder.

The way I understood your followup message it seemed you did see the
image.tga file with the scenes (pov) files. But now I realize you might only
be seeing the .pov files, which could explain why Alain is saying what he
has said, that perhaps you're confusing pov files for rendered images. I was
getting confused while reading that. :)

You just need to locate the rendering of your  image.pov  scene file, which
will be  image.tga  because of the +FT output type command switch, since the
tutorial requires you to use it. At least prove it doesn't (or does) exist
and figure out why from there.

Bob Hughes