POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools (Message 38 to 47 of 47)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools
Date: 29 May 2004 14:37:51
Message: <MPG.1b2286019a99bdf8989a5c@news.povray.org>
In article <web.40b79fbc27c58a6a908e04100@news.povray.org>, nomail@nomail
says...
> > Hmm. No, I mean that when you click browse, you can't just type the name
> > in and have TMPGEnc know where to find it, it will look in 'its' default
> > folder, not "POVimages". You have to actually click through the file
> > dialog until you are in the right directory and select the file from
> > there. I assume this is likely what you are doing wrong, but I can't be
> > sure. If not, then I haven't a clue. BMPs are one of the default files it
> > should read. I suspect that it is actually incorrectly saying "Invalid
> > Video Source", when it *should* be saying "File Not Found". If you don't
> > see the bmp files in the file list or "POVimages" in the box at the top
> > left, then you are not pointing TMPGEnc to the right place to find them.
> >
> No, after I clicked "browse," I changed the directory in the "Look In" box
> to POVimages and put "clockdemo00.bmp" in the "File Name" box. Still, an
> utter failure.

While I think Thornsten is going overboard a bit... After all, everyone
has to learn before they become expert enough to do something, he does
have a point. Are you sure for instance that clockdemo00.bmp is even a
file in that directory? The last time I ran animations it started with
01, not 00. Though, that may have changed in the new version of POV-Ray
for all I know. In any case, you should always *click on* the file in the
list to select it, just to make sure. That way you know for certain you
are looking in the right place and that the file you are giving TMPGEnc
is actually in there.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 29 May 2004 14:39:42
Message: <MPG.1b228678e1b7cb1a989a5d@news.povray.org>
In article <40b7a3e1@news.povray.org>, tho### [at] trfde says...
> In article <web.40b79fbc27c58a6a908e04100@news.povray.org> , "CFM"
> <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
> > No, after I clicked "browse," I changed the directory in the "Look In" box
> > to POVimages and put "clockdemo00.bmp" in the "File Name" box. Still, an
> > utter failure.
>
> Why don't you just select the file as everybody here keeps telling you?  No
> typing is required at all!!!  Is that really so difficult to understand?
>
> Honestly, if you cannot even figure out how to select a file correctly, I am
> afraid with your current experience level with computers, POV-Ray is not the
> right tool for you.  And neither is TMPGEnc.  Sorry!

Everyone has to start some place, even if it is as a complete and total
newbie. Give the guy a break, for all you know he has a good reason to
not completely understand and telling him he shouldn't even try is not
going to promote such understanding.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen McAvoy
Date: 29 May 2004 16:10:35
Message: <ihrhb09su996v1v3vv004cvqs89m2897n3@4ax.com>
On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:38:02 -0700, Patrick Elliott
<sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>Everyone has to start some place, even if it is as a complete and total
>newbie. Give the guy a break, for all you know he has a good reason to
>not completely understand and telling him he shouldn't even try is not
>going to promote such understanding.

You are right, although for Thornsten he is showing a lot of patience
:-}
If members of the newsgroup are willing to answer/tutor CFM then what
does it matter if some of the questions seem self evident. Those of us
who have been around computers for a long time sometimes forget how
much there is to learn. Personally I would not like to start from
scratch now.

Regards
        Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: CFM
Date: 1 Jun 2004 13:50:01
Message: <web.40bcc10e27c58a6a88fcbf820@news.povray.org>
> Why don't you just select the file as everybody here keeps telling you?  No
> typing is required at all!!!  Is that really so difficult to understand?
>
> Honestly, if you cannot even figure out how to select a file correctly, I am
> afraid with your current experience level with computers, POV-Ray is not the
> right tool for you.  And neither is TMPGEnc.  Sorry!

I did select the file, too. I've also typed it into the File Name box. I've
put it in there with and without a file extension. Nothing works. It's
always the same error window. What am I missing?!

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen McAvoy
Date: 1 Jun 2004 14:48:24
Message: <krjpb0hi8har4gfl2g73h9n6hpcccfipcd@4ax.com>
On Tue,  1 Jun 2004 13:46:54 EDT, "CFM" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>I did select the file, too. I've also typed it into the File Name box. I've
>put it in there with and without a file extension. Nothing works. It's
>always the same error window. What am I missing?!

This may sound silly and don't take offence, but did you press the
start button in TMPGEnc?
The next thing I can think of is do you have Hide extensions for known
file types. In Explorer or My Computer > Tools > Folder Options >
View. If you do then un-tick it.
Failing that try another encoding progtame like VideoMach found at
http://gromada.com/VideoMach_dl.html

One other thing, where did you get your copy of Pov-Ray? I just
downloaded the installation file from http://www.povray.org/download/
and reinstalled my programme. I could not find  clockdemo.pov.
I must say I admire your perseverance.

Regards
        Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 2 Jun 2004 00:42:39
Message: <MPG.1b27086f8ac9984b989a64@news.povray.org>
In article <web.40bcc10e27c58a6a88fcbf820@news.povray.org>, nomail@nomail
says...
> > Why don't you just select the file as everybody here keeps telling you?  No
> > typing is required at all!!!  Is that really so difficult to understand?
> >
> > Honestly, if you cannot even figure out how to select a file correctly, I am
> > afraid with your current experience level with computers, POV-Ray is not the
> > right tool for you.  And neither is TMPGEnc.  Sorry!
>
> I did select the file, too. I've also typed it into the File Name box. I've
> put it in there with and without a file extension. Nothing works. It's
> always the same error window. What am I missing?!

Hmm.. Here is a thought.. It is possible that TMPGEnc expects and only
knows how to load BMP files in a specific format. I.e. You have POV-Ray
producing 16-bit by default, but TMPGEnc is expecting 24-bit.. (Or even
maybe it only supporting 16-bit and 24-bit being unusable) I seem to
remember reading a thread about this on the forums for TMPGEnc that
suggested using VirtualDub or the like to 'feed' such images to TMPGEnc,
since they had to be converted 'prior' to TMPGEnc using them. This is in
a sense what the PNG reader does, converting the PNG files into a native
bitmap that TMPGEnc can actually use. If this is the case, then you may
need to adjust the setting in the povray.ini file to make sure it outputs
the correct number of bits per color channel, so TMPGEnc can read them.
This problem would definitely produce that error, assuming I am right.

But then at this point, it is just a wild guess...

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

Post a reply to this message

From: CFM
Date: 2 Jun 2004 15:05:01
Message: <web.40be23b727c58a6a713c63820@news.povray.org>
Eureka! I got it! The foreground window was a distraction. I closed that and
went to the background window, where there's another "video source" box
with a "browse" button next to it. I clicked that and rerouted the source
to POVimages. TMPGEnc compressed it and output the video into LAB2.POV
folder. I used Quicktime to play it back. Unfortunately, it plays back too
fast. Any ideas about modifying the speed?

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 2 Jun 2004 15:45:00
Message: <web.40be2df527c58a6aca11893c0@news.povray.org>
"CFM" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Eureka! I got it! The foreground window was a distraction. I closed that and
> went to the background window, where there's another "video source" box
> with a "browse" button next to it. I clicked that and rerouted the source
> to POVimages. TMPGEnc compressed it and output the video into LAB2.POV
> folder. I used Quicktime to play it back. Unfortunately, it plays back too
> fast. Any ideas about modifying the speed?

TMPGenc has a "settings" screen for the video output, where you're able to
specify the frame rate (and even do conversions, ie start with 24 rendered
images for each second, and TMPGenc can make a video running at 30fps from
it, etc).

....Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen McAvoy
Date: 2 Jun 2004 15:52:56
Message: <i0csb093c1qoeg8ung5fcqcru7eofuph11@4ax.com>
On Wed,  2 Jun 2004 15:00:07 EDT, "CFM" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>Any ideas about modifying the speed?

On the front screen  there is a button called settings (bottom right),
press it. This will take you to another screen where you can change
the frame rate. You will also be able to change the quality settings
as well. Remember the golden rule - when fault finding only change one
thing at a time.

Regards
        Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 2 Jun 2004 23:23:26
Message: <MPG.1b28474cdf9909d7989a66@news.povray.org>
In article <web.40be23b727c58a6a713c63820@news.povray.org>, nomail@nomail
says...
> Eureka! I got it! The foreground window was a distraction. I closed that and
> went to the background window, where there's another "video source" box
> with a "browse" button next to it. I clicked that and rerouted the source
> to POVimages. TMPGEnc compressed it and output the video into LAB2.POV
> folder. I used Quicktime to play it back. Unfortunately, it plays back too
> fast. Any ideas about modifying the speed?

As a general rule each image is a 'frame' and video is roughly 24-30
frames per second. This means that your clockdemo will only run just
under 1 second with 20 frames. You can adjust this 'slightly' in the
settings other mentioned, but usually the solution is to make the number
of images POV-Ray produces a lot bigger. For instance, 200 images will
produce about 9-10 seconds. You can as other have said, adjust the rate
they play back at, but it is limited and making more frames is usually a
better solution.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()