POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools : Re: Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 2 Jun 2004 00:42:39
Message: <MPG.1b27086f8ac9984b989a64@news.povray.org>
In article <web.40bcc10e27c58a6a88fcbf820@news.povray.org>, nomail@nomail
says...
> > Why don't you just select the file as everybody here keeps telling you?  No
> > typing is required at all!!!  Is that really so difficult to understand?
> >
> > Honestly, if you cannot even figure out how to select a file correctly, I am
> > afraid with your current experience level with computers, POV-Ray is not the
> > right tool for you.  And neither is TMPGEnc.  Sorry!
>
> I did select the file, too. I've also typed it into the File Name box. I've
> put it in there with and without a file extension. Nothing works. It's
> always the same error window. What am I missing?!

Hmm.. Here is a thought.. It is possible that TMPGEnc expects and only
knows how to load BMP files in a specific format. I.e. You have POV-Ray
producing 16-bit by default, but TMPGEnc is expecting 24-bit.. (Or even
maybe it only supporting 16-bit and 24-bit being unusable) I seem to
remember reading a thread about this on the forums for TMPGEnc that
suggested using VirtualDub or the like to 'feed' such images to TMPGEnc,
since they had to be converted 'prior' to TMPGEnc using them. This is in
a sense what the PNG reader does, converting the PNG files into a native
bitmap that TMPGEnc can actually use. If this is the case, then you may
need to adjust the setting in the povray.ini file to make sure it outputs
the correct number of bits per color channel, so TMPGEnc can read them.
This problem would definitely produce that error, assuming I am right.

But then at this point, it is just a wild guess...

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else