POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3.71 patch for binary "mesh3" format Server Time
27 Apr 2024 02:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  3.71 patch for binary "mesh3" format (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: 3.71 patch for binary "mesh3" format
Date: 22 Aug 2017 08:05:01
Message: <web.599c1d96e553792dc437ac910@news.povray.org>
> On 22-8-2017 10:45, Stephen wrote:

> > Never the less, just out of idle curiosity. It would be interesting to
> > see the results of some tests.

Yes, that was the primary motivation for posting the link, and I thought that
VTK looked like it was an interesting modeler that some folks might find useful.
 It had some fancy tools like Voronoi and Delaunay that has historically been of
interest to certain Povvers.

> However, there is one point I do not like about the mesh3: it is a
> binary format and so not editable as mesh2 is. I find that a serious
> disadvantage.

My thought there was that the mesh could be SAVED as mesh3 for USE, and if it
needed to be edited, then I'm sure there would be a way to save it back to mesh2
and then convert back again.   My understanding of meshes is that most of them
are so large that they are primarily used as static models.
Even a small speed increase could add up to a large time savings for animators.

I really have to get a Linux box up and running....

Post a reply to this message

>> However, there is one point I do not like about the mesh3: it is a
>> binary format and so not editable as mesh2 is. I find that a serious
>> disadvantage.
> My thought there was that the mesh could be SAVED as mesh3 for USE,

That's the way I'm thinking. "Finalise" it.

>and if it
> needed to be edited, then I'm sure there would be a way to save it back to mesh2
> and then convert back again.   My understanding of meshes is that most of them
> are so large that they are primarily used as static models.

If you make animations you use a series of meshes.

> Even a small speed increase could add up to a large time savings for animators.

It could indeed.

> I really have to get a Linux box up and running....

Is that a non sequitur?

--

Regards
     Stephen