POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3.71 patch for binary "mesh3" format : Re: 3.71 patch for binary "mesh3" format Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:27:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.71 patch for binary "mesh3" format
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Aug 2017 03:03:59
Message: <599e7a5f@news.povray.org>
On 23-8-2017 13:54, Bald Eagle wrote:
> [snip]
> However, you are not completely out of luck when dealing with compressing mesh
> data. This has been done before. For example check:
> http://povrayinclude.wytraven.com/pcm.html
> [LINK IS BROKEN - BW]
> POV-Ray 3.5 supports a new type of mesh (called mesh2) which stores the mesh
> data in a more compact format (similar to the one used in the PCM format
> described in the abovementioned link, but with a bit more syntax around it)."

pcm! I remember that one and used it happily many years ago, especially
in the times of Moray. It did an excellent job on compression meshes and
parsing times were wonderfully shortened. Did it convert to mesh2? I
don't really remember... I think I still have it somewhere, gathering
dust. Not sure if it is still functional.

After a little digging found that it was created by Warp and included
into Chris Colefax's site. One of the available WayBackMachine pages is:
https://web.archive.org/web/20000226171710/http://geocities.com:80/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/pcm.html

--
Thomas