POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images Server Time
25 Apr 2024 11:53:54 EDT (-0400)
  RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: ratneshmadaan
Subject: RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images
Date: 5 May 2016 10:25:00
Message: <web.572b572641f9f6078bfd5e7f0@news.povray.org>
I am rendering about 100k frames using an ini file of the same object type, each
having a random (in a box) configuration of the object, no of objects, camera
location, light source, viewing angle etc. Issue is RAM consumption increases
monotonically. I don't know what garbage value isn't being thrown. Is there a
macro to delete stuff manually at the end of a .pov file, or any other good
practices? (new to povray here)

Post a reply to this message

Am 05.05.2016 um 16:22 schrieb ratneshmadaan:
> I am rendering about 100k frames using an ini file of the same object type, each
> having a random (in a box) configuration of the object, no of objects, camera
> location, light source, viewing angle etc. Issue is RAM consumption increases
> monotonically. I don't know what garbage value isn't being thrown. Is there a
> macro to delete stuff manually at the end of a .pov file, or any other good
> practices? (new to povray here)

What version of POV-Ray are you using, and on what operating system?

Post a reply to this message

> Am 05.05.2016 um 16:22 schrieb ratneshmadaan:
> > I am rendering about 100k frames using an ini file of the same object type, each
> > having a random (in a box) configuration of the object, no of objects, camera
> > location, light source, viewing angle etc. Issue is RAM consumption increases
> > monotonically. I don't know what garbage value isn't being thrown. Is there a
> > macro to delete stuff manually at the end of a .pov file, or any other good
> > practices? (new to povray here)
>
> What version of POV-Ray are you using, and on what operating system?

Crap. I rebuilt povray on a server, and this time I used the master branch,
instead of 3.7 stable branch. Ubuntu 14.04. Could that be the issue?

Post a reply to this message

Am 05.05.2016 um 18:28 schrieb ratneshmadaan:
>> Am 05.05.2016 um 16:22 schrieb ratneshmadaan:
>>> I am rendering about 100k frames using an ini file of the same object type, each
>>> having a random (in a box) configuration of the object, no of objects, camera
>>> location, light source, viewing angle etc. Issue is RAM consumption increases
>>> monotonically. I don't know what garbage value isn't being thrown. Is there a
>>> macro to delete stuff manually at the end of a .pov file, or any other good
>>> practices? (new to povray here)
>>
>> What version of POV-Ray are you using, and on what operating system?
>
> Crap. I rebuilt povray on a server, and this time I used the master branch,
> instead of 3.7 stable branch. Ubuntu 14.04. Could that be the issue?

Generally I'd expect the current master branch to have /fewer/ memory
leaks than the 3.7 stable. But there's always the possibility that I
might be mistaken.

If the increase in RAM consumption proses a serious problem, you may
consider rendering the animation in multiple batches, using the +SFn and
+EFn command-line switches.

Post a reply to this message