POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images : Re: RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images Server Time
5 May 2024 01:47:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images
From: dick balaska
Date: 5 May 2016 21:25:00
Message: <572bf26c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2016-05-05 13:12, also sprach clipka:

> Generally I'd expect the current master branch to have /fewer/ memory
> leaks than the 3.7 stable. But there's always the possibility that I
> might be mistaken.

I can't comment on the /fewer/ than 3.7, but the latest pvengine*.exe
leaks pretty bad.  I mentioned once that my workflow includes exiting
and restarting povwin every couple hundred to 1000 frames rendered.    I
notice about a 50-100KB leak per frame rendered.  Even when the render
job is done is doesn't give back the memory.  After povwin consumes 2GB
of leaked memory, it gets pretty sluggish. (I have 16GB of memory.)
For production, I use povconsole which renders one frame per call, so I
don't care about leaks there.

I was always a little surprised that Jaime didn't weigh in on this
issue. I figured with the heavy complicated scenes he makes, he must
notice this. (Although I've never heard him complain about anything. ;) )
--
dik