POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images : Re: RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images Server Time
4 May 2024 18:33:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images
From: clipka
Date: 5 May 2016 13:12:07
Message: <572b7ee7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.05.2016 um 18:28 schrieb ratneshmadaan:
>> Am 05.05.2016 um 16:22 schrieb ratneshmadaan:
>>> I am rendering about 100k frames using an ini file of the same object type, each
>>> having a random (in a box) configuration of the object, no of objects, camera
>>> location, light source, viewing angle etc. Issue is RAM consumption increases
>>> monotonically. I don't know what garbage value isn't being thrown. Is there a
>>> macro to delete stuff manually at the end of a .pov file, or any other good
>>> practices? (new to povray here)
>>
>> What version of POV-Ray are you using, and on what operating system?
>
> Crap. I rebuilt povray on a server, and this time I used the master branch,
> instead of 3.7 stable branch. Ubuntu 14.04. Could that be the issue?

Generally I'd expect the current master branch to have /fewer/ memory
leaks than the 3.7 stable. But there's always the possibility that I
might be mistaken.

If the increase in RAM consumption proses a serious problem, you may
consider rendering the animation in multiple batches, using the +SFn and
+EFn command-line switches.