POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images : Re: RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images Server Time
5 May 2024 02:48:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RAM consumption increasing steadily. Rendering 100k images
From: clipka
Date: 6 May 2016 21:41:36
Message: <572d47d0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.05.2016 um 21:32 schrieb dick balaska:
> Am 2016-05-05 22:50, also sprach clipka:
>>
>> If you could provide me with a scene that is guaranteed to exhibit lots
>> of leakage in the most recent Windows binaries and isn't too slow to
>> render, maybe along with a bit of technical information on how much
>> leakage you observe, I'd appreciate that as well. I don't do any serious
>> animations work with POV-Ray myself, so I have only very simple test
>> scenes to go by, which do not seem to demonstrate any increase in the
>> memory footprint that would stand out among the normal random
>> fluctuations seen in the task manager.
>
> My art is all csg spheres and boxes, cones and torii. No radiosity or
> modern features.  I will whip something off. (Maybe I can put 1000
> spheres *behind* the camera).

What -- no functions? No macros? No arrays? No spline-based movement? ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if the memory leaks turned out to be related not
so much to /what/ you populate your scene with, but /how/.

> I never thought of the leak as animation specific, just the act of
> calling the renderer, which is why I thought of Jaime.  Maybe it is
> related to +SF10 +EF20.

Nah, the +SF and +EF options don't have much of an effect on the way
POV-Ray operates; it just changes how it computes the frame_number and
clock, that's all.