POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Only kind wishes to developers! Server Time
2 May 2024 14:12:07 EDT (-0400)
  Only kind wishes to developers! (Message 24 to 33 of 33)
From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: Only kind wishes to developers!
Date: 28 Feb 2016 17:11:37
Message: <56d37099$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/28/2016 12:53 PM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:

> We need people to work on the Moray codebase.

I have no interest in Moray, but what I'm looking to work on (other than
my own pov-programs)

1) povray - Debug stream on windows wraps at 80 chars, even writing to a
file. Unix doesn't do this.  This should be an easy fix and get my feet
wet in the povray code base.

2) povray - Memory leaks.  Povwin leaks like a sieve. My workflow has
changed to, every time before I render a couple hundred frames, I exit
and restart pov to get back memory. povwin can grow to 4GB easily. I'm
hoping to find a tool that makes this jump out easily. It looks like the
built in profile tools in vs15 may do this.

3) povclipse - I understand that it doesn't work with 3.7.  I couldn't
use it as is anyway without a dynamic preview window. I want to add
that. (The number of times in povwin I have Shift-clicked a label
expecting to go to the definition; or highlight a token expecting it to
highlight that token everywhere.

Post a reply to this message

dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> On 2/28/2016 12:53 PM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
>
> > We need people to work on the Moray codebase.
>
> I have no interest in Moray, but what I'm looking to work on (other than
> my own pov-programs)
>
> 1) povray - Debug stream on windows wraps at 80 chars, even writing to a
> file. Unix doesn't do this.  This should be an easy fix and get my feet
> wet in the povray code base.
>
> 2) povray - Memory leaks.  Povwin leaks like a sieve. My workflow has
> changed to, every time before I render a couple hundred frames, I exit
> and restart pov to get back memory. povwin can grow to 4GB easily. I'm
> hoping to find a tool that makes this jump out easily. It looks like the
> built in profile tools in vs15 may do this.
>
> 3) povclipse - I understand that it doesn't work with 3.7.  I couldn't
> use it as is anyway without a dynamic preview window. I want to add
> that. (The number of times in povwin I have Shift-clicked a label
> expecting to go to the definition; or highlight a token expecting it to
> highlight that token everywhere.

I've thought that it would be nice to have a curses interface for the console
render stream.  It would be a great addition for people who run console-only
renderfarms, especially if we manage to get the distributed rendering system.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

On 2/28/2016 5:38 PM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:

> I've thought that it would be nice to have a curses interface for the console
> render stream.  It would be a great addition for people who run console-only
> renderfarms, especially if we manage to get the distributed rendering system.

Can you describe this a little bit?

I use sockets and a web interface for my "console-only" renderfarm.

Post a reply to this message