POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Only kind wishes to developers! : Re: Only kind wishes to developers! Server Time
18 May 2024 17:03:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Only kind wishes to developers!
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 28 Feb 2016 19:20:00
Message: <web.56d38dd2f8405cbafd6b6fe10@news.povray.org>
dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> On 2/28/2016 5:38 PM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
>
> > I've thought that it would be nice to have a curses interface for the console
> > render stream.  It would be a great addition for people who run console-only
> > renderfarms, especially if we manage to get the distributed rendering system.
>
> Can you describe this a little bit?
>
> I use sockets and a web interface for my "console-only" renderfarm.

It's not a means of communication.  Curses (NCurses or pdCurses for free
versions) is a library for creating interactive text-only interfaces in a
console environment.  It would allow the console output to be split into
different panes, similar to what you see in the bios screen or the old dos
shell.

So you could have the output stream in one pane, and a progress display in
another pane, and interactive options for pausing or stopping a render, you
could even keep a terminal running in a separate pane without resorting to a new
tab (especailly useful if you're running your farm in tty mode, although I
suppose you could jump between tty1 and tty2).

Of course, a web interface is good too.

Regards,
A.D.B.