POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Only kind wishes to developers! : Re: Only kind wishes to developers! Server Time
19 May 2024 20:51:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Only kind wishes to developers!
From: dick balaska
Date: 28 Feb 2016 20:39:02
Message: <56d3a136$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/28/2016 7:16 PM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:

> It's not a means of communication.  Curses (NCurses or pdCurses for free
> versions) is a library for creating interactive text-only interfaces in a
> console environment.

Sure, I wrote a curses space invaders on the pdp-8 in the 80s, and...
on a $4000 B&W Xterminal, swiss banks would display a terminal window
with curses forms. :)

> It would allow the console output to be split into
> different panes, similar to what you see in the bios screen or the old dos
> shell.
>
> So you could have the output stream in one pane, and a progress display in
> another pane, and interactive options for pausing or stopping a render, you
> could even keep a terminal running in a separate pane without resorting to a new
> tab (especailly useful if you're running your farm in tty mode, although I
> suppose you could jump between tty1 and tty2).
>
> Of course, a web interface is good too.

Ok.  What I was thinking was adding a talker socket to povray, which
would then connect to povclipse. With a decent protocol, it *could*
connect to a curses program too.  That keeps as much non-raytrace foo as
possible out of povray.

There is definite value in adding a pause button.

I'm not sure what you mean by "output stream". It's text, you *could*
just read the output file(s).