POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Fudge"anyone? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:27:55 EDT (-0400)
  "Fudge"anyone? (Message 3 to 12 of 22)
<<< Previous 2 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: arblick spule
Subject: Re: "Fudge"anyone?
Date: 1 Sep 2010 20:45:01
Message: <web.4c7ef2fe6bc3b594e35062cb0@news.povray.org>
stbenge <myu### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> arblick spule wrote:
> > <-Feel free to ignore if I sound drunk and in the wrong newsgrooop...->
>
> I don't think that matters much here, as long as you aren't belligerent
> and caustic :)
>
> > 1) Ambient occlusion
>
> Somebody made an AO patch once, can't remember who, or whether it was
> ever released to the general populous.
>
> > 2) Environment mapping
> > 3+)Separate output layers (reflection, occlusion, depth, object ID, blah, blah,
> > blah)
> > 2)  Environment mapping would allow me to only shoot the bare minimals (IE the
> > walls) and then render my character (a miserable robot) without having to use
> > 1800 light sources!!!
> > 3)  The rest would really be useful but I don't wanna bug anyone. (8~}
>
> Well, there are ways to do texture-baking in POV. The easiest is to use
> Rune's illusion.inc, which lets you map prerendered images onto your
> scene's geometry. You can literally save hours of render time by using
> it, but it needs proper HDR support. I sent Rune a modified version of
> his file, but realized after I had sent it that my enhancements didn't
> work correctly, as POV was mishandling the HDR format. I really need to
> get back to him about that. The downfall to using illusion.inc is that
> only the surfaces that are directly in front of the camera get rendered.
>
> There is also the possibility for true texture-baking to meshes using
> Mega-POV. This might be accomplished by reading a mesh, gleaning all the
> necessary elements from it (vertices, triangles, UV coords, etc.),
> setting up camera pigments to view individual triangles and then
> rendering the result with an orthographic camera. In fact, I would like
> to formally challenge anyone with too much time on their hands to
> accomplish this. It can be done, I know it can!
>
> > I say don't too caught up with the purist way of thinking.  POV is made by
> > people -> people tell it what to do -> if you don't want all the "fudges", don't
> > use them! -> but POV devs - don't shy away from these little gems, please!!!
>
> I don't worry about "purist" methods myself, as my computer is too
> intolerably noisy for me to let it render for hours, weeks or days on end.
>
> Sam

You need to upgrade to a PentiumIII  !!!  !!!  Or store that bad boy in another
room!

Post a reply to this message

From: arblick spule
Date: 1 Sep 2010 21:00:00
Message: <web.4c7ef5836bc3b594e35062cb0@news.povray.org>
"arblick spule" <aspule> wrote:
> stbenge <myu### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > arblick spule wrote:
> > > <-Feel free to ignore if I sound drunk and in the wrong newsgrooop...->
> >
> > I don't think that matters much here, as long as you aren't belligerent
> > and caustic :)
> >
> > > 1) Ambient occlusion
> >
> > Somebody made an AO patch once, can't remember who, or whether it was
> > ever released to the general populous.
> >
> > > 2) Environment mapping
> > > 3+)Separate output layers (reflection, occlusion, depth, object ID, blah, blah,
> > > blah)
> > > 2)  Environment mapping would allow me to only shoot the bare minimals (IE the
> > > walls) and then render my character (a miserable robot) without having to use
> > > 1800 light sources!!!
> > > 3)  The rest would really be useful but I don't wanna bug anyone. (8~}
> >
> > Well, there are ways to do texture-baking in POV. The easiest is to use
> > Rune's illusion.inc, which lets you map prerendered images onto your
> > scene's geometry. You can literally save hours of render time by using
> > it, but it needs proper HDR support. I sent Rune a modified version of
> > his file, but realized after I had sent it that my enhancements didn't
> > work correctly, as POV was mishandling the HDR format. I really need to
> > get back to him about that. The downfall to using illusion.inc is that
> > only the surfaces that are directly in front of the camera get rendered.
> >
> > There is also the possibility for true texture-baking to meshes using
> > Mega-POV. This might be accomplished by reading a mesh, gleaning all the
> > necessary elements from it (vertices, triangles, UV coords, etc.),
> > setting up camera pigments to view individual triangles and then
> > rendering the result with an orthographic camera. In fact, I would like
> > to formally challenge anyone with too much time on their hands to
> > accomplish this. It can be done, I know it can!
> >
> > > I say don't too caught up with the purist way of thinking.  POV is made by
> > > people -> people tell it what to do -> if you don't want all the "fudges", don't
> > > use them! -> but POV devs - don't shy away from these little gems, please!!!
> >
> > I don't worry about "purist" methods myself, as my computer is too
> > intolerably noisy for me to let it render for hours, weeks or days on end.
> >
> > Sam
>

> You need to upgrade to a PentiumIII  !!!  !!!  Or store that bad boy in another
> room!

Err, posted in the wrong room!!!  I do apologize!!! Or not!!!

Post a reply to this message

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 2 Sep 2010 07:58:24
Message: <4c7f9160@news.povray.org>

> Well, there are ways to do texture-baking in POV. The easiest is to use
> Rune's illusion.inc, which lets you map prerendered images onto your
> scene's geometry. You can literally save hours of render time by using
> it, but it needs proper HDR support. I sent Rune a modified version of
> his file, but realized after I had sent it that my enhancements didn't
> work correctly, as POV was mishandling the HDR format. I really need to
> get back to him about that.
>
> There is also the possibility for true texture-baking to meshes using
> Mega-POV. This might be accomplished by reading a mesh, gleaning all the
> necessary elements from it (vertices, triangles, UV coords, etc.),
> setting up camera pigments to view individual triangles and then
> rendering the result with an orthographic camera. In fact, I would like
> to formally challenge anyone with too much time on their hands to
> accomplish this. It can be done, I know it can!

   Just to save you some effort: please don't work on any of these before
trying the new feature on beta 39... :) This advice will apply also for
arblick's project, BTW.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

> > Well, there are ways to do texture-baking in POV. The easiest is to use
> > Rune's illusion.inc, which lets you map prerendered images onto your
> > scene's geometry. You can literally save hours of render time by using
> > it, but it needs proper HDR support. I sent Rune a modified version of
> > his file, but realized after I had sent it that my enhancements didn't
> > work correctly, as POV was mishandling the HDR format. I really need to
> > get back to him about that.
> >
> > There is also the possibility for true texture-baking to meshes using
> > Mega-POV. This might be accomplished by reading a mesh, gleaning all the
> > necessary elements from it (vertices, triangles, UV coords, etc.),
> > setting up camera pigments to view individual triangles and then
> > rendering the result with an orthographic camera. In fact, I would like
> > to formally challenge anyone with too much time on their hands to
> > accomplish this. It can be done, I know it can!
>
>    Just to save you some effort: please don't work on any of these before
> trying the new feature on beta 39... :) This advice will apply also for
> arblick's project, BTW.
>

> --
> Jaime Vives Piqueres
>
> http://www.ignorancia.org

POVRAY 3.9!!!!!!!!!!

Time to be belligerent, or at least annoying.  ;)

Where, where, where, where, where, where, where, when, when, when, where, where,
where, where?!?!?

(P.S.  Disregard my post about being in the wrong room.  I was posting that on
the wrong website.  Doh!!!  Many apologies.)

Post a reply to this message

On 2/09/2010 23:18, arblick spule wrote:
> POVRAY 3.9!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Time to be belligerent, or at least annoying.  ;)
>
> Where, where, where, where, where, where, where, when, when, when, where, where,
> where, where?!?!?

beta 39 of povray 3.7, not povray 3.9. it will be out next week and has the
means to do texture baking.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

On 09/02/2010 10:23 AM, Chris Cason wrote:
> On 2/09/2010 23:18, arblick spule wrote:
>> POVRAY 3.9!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Time to be belligerent, or at least annoying.  ;)
>>
>> Where, where, where, where, where, where, where, when, when, when, where, where,
>> where, where?!?!?
>
> beta 39 of povray 3.7, not povray 3.9. it will be out next week and has the
> means to do texture baking.

for once I'm a bit ahead of schedule ... here's a preview:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_3#Mesh_projection

Post a reply to this message

Jim Holsenback <jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
> On 09/02/2010 10:23 AM, Chris Cason wrote:
> > On 2/09/2010 23:18, arblick spule wrote:
> >> POVRAY 3.9!!!!!!!!!!
> >>
> >> Time to be belligerent, or at least annoying.  ;)
> >>
> >> Where, where, where, where, where, where, where, when, when, when, where, where,
> >> where, where?!?!?
> >
> > beta 39 of povray 3.7, not povray 3.9. it will be out next week and has the
> > means to do texture baking.
>
> for once I'm a bit ahead of schedule ... here's a preview:
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_3#Mesh_projection

damn great!

Post a reply to this message

On 2/09/2010 23:54, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> for once I'm a bit ahead of schedule ... here's a preview:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_3#Mesh_projection

I've just updated this with details of the new max depth parameter (which
I'm just about to check into trunk).

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

>> There is also the possibility for true texture-baking to meshes using
>> Mega-POV. This might be accomplished by reading a mesh, gleaning all the
>> necessary elements from it (vertices, triangles, UV coords, etc.),
>> setting up camera pigments to view individual triangles and then
>> rendering the result with an orthographic camera. In fact, I would like
>> to formally challenge anyone with too much time on their hands to
>> accomplish this. It can be done, I know it can!
>
>   Just to save you some effort: please don't work on any of these before
> trying the new feature on beta 39... :) This advice will apply also for
> arblick's project, BTW.

Well, I must say it's very strange, as I've been thinking about this
feature on-and-off for about three weeks now. Can't remember what
exactly got me to thinking about it. It's very cool that a form of
texture-baking is finally making its way into POV! This should make
proximity patterns for meshes faster :)

Sam

Post a reply to this message

> Well, I must say it's very strange, as I've been thinking about this
> feature on-and-off for about three weeks now. Can't remember what
> exactly got me to thinking about it.

   I never doubted you were some sort of POV-Psychic... :)

> This should make proximity patterns for meshes faster :)

   A lot faster!

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 2 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>