POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scale radiosity data with focal blur Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:30:56 EDT (-0400)
  Scale radiosity data with focal blur (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Subject: Scale radiosity data with focal blur
Date: 9 Jan 2009 13:43:31
Message: <49679ad3$1@news.povray.org>
A quick note about something I just discovered...

   When using two-pass radiosity, if you use a little focal blur during the
first pass (just a few blur samples is enough), the you can scale up the
render size on the second pass without suffering the typical artefacts (and
you don't need to use focal blur on the final pass).

   I've used this trick successfully with the first pass at 320x240 and the
second at 1024x768. So, for the first pass I'm now using that in the camera:

   aperture .01 blur_samples 7 focal_point <,,>

   Regards,

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message

Would jitter do the same?  It seems focal blur is:
1. relatively expensive
2. introduces an artifact, as it's depth-dependent

Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
>   A quick note about something I just discovered...
>
>   When using two-pass radiosity, if you use a little focal blur during the
> first pass (just a few blur samples is enough), the you can scale up the
> render size on the second pass without suffering the typical artefacts
> (and you don't need to use focal blur on the final pass).
>
>   I've used this trick successfully with the first pass at 320x240 and
> the second at 1024x768. So, for the first pass I'm now using that in the
> camera:
>
>   aperture .01 blur_samples 7 focal_point <,,>
>
>   Regards,
>
> --
> Jaime

Post a reply to this message

Dan Connelly nous illumina en ce 2009-01-09 13:45 -->
> Would jitter do the same?  It seems focal blur is:
> 1. relatively expensive
> 2. introduces an artifact, as it's depth-dependent
>
> Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
>>   A quick note about something I just discovered...
>>
>>   When using two-pass radiosity, if you use a little focal blur during
>> the
>> first pass (just a few blur samples is enough), the you can scale up the
>> render size on the second pass without suffering the typical artefacts
>> (and you don't need to use focal blur on the final pass).
>>
>>   I've used this trick successfully with the first pass at 320x240 and
>> the second at 1024x768. So, for the first pass I'm now using that in
>> the camera:
>>
>>   aperture .01 blur_samples 7 focal_point <,,>
>>
>>   Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Jaime
With this little samples, it's not realy expensive. Also, the sampling is
normaly jittered.
What it does here, is to force the taking of some more radiosity samples during
the first pass.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you've gained twenty pounds

Post a reply to this message

> With this little samples, it's not realy expensive. Also, the sampling
> is normaly jittered.
> What it does here, is to force the taking of some more radiosity samples
> during the first pass.

Is the depth dependence a concern?   At the focal depth, there should be no effect.

Post a reply to this message

>> With this little samples, it's not realy expensive. Also, the sampling
>> is normaly jittered.
>> What it does here, is to force the taking of some more radiosity
>> samples during the first pass.
>>

> Is the depth dependence a concern?   At the focal depth, there should be
> no effect.

   Now that you mention it, I was using a focal point very close to the
camera location, so the focal blur effect must have been more or less
uniform, I suppose.

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message

Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> A quick note about something I just discovered...
>
>    When using two-pass radiosity, if you use a little focal blur during the
> first pass (just a few blur samples is enough), the you can scale up the
> render size on the second pass without suffering the typical artefacts (and
> you don't need to use focal blur on the final pass).
>
>    I've used this trick successfully with the first pass at 320x240 and the
> second at 1024x768. So, for the first pass I'm now using that in the camera:
>
>    aperture .01 blur_samples 7 focal_point <,,>
>
>    Regards,
>
> --
> Jaime

Always a man of many tricks! :)

good to see you're back at povving!

Post a reply to this message

Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
>    When using two-pass radiosity, if you use a little focal blur during the
> first pass (just a few blur samples is enough), the you can scale up the
> render size on the second pass without suffering the typical artefacts (and
> you don't need to use focal blur on the final pass).

- Did you see any speed (or quality) advantage over using a higher-resolution
image?

- How does Anti-Aliasing with jitter perform in comparison?

Post a reply to this message