POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scale radiosity data with focal blur : Re: Scale radiosity data with focal blur Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scale radiosity data with focal blur
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 10 Jan 2009 10:54:55
Message: <4968c4cf$1@news.povray.org>

> - Did you see any speed (or quality) advantage over using a
> higher-resolution image?

   The advantage is only speed, and the quality is almost the same. I just
did 3 quick tests with the same rad settings:

   1) 1024x768 for both passes as reference for quality and render time

   2) first pass of only 256x192, second 1024x768 -> 38% render time, but
there are many artefacts not present on case 1.

   3) same as 2, but with focal blur (7 samples) -> 65% render time, no
artefacts visible, and the image feels almost identical to case 1.

> - How does Anti-Aliasing with jitter perform in comparison?

   It works also to obtain better results for "scaled up radiosity", but
doesn't eliminates all the artefacts as the focal blur trick does. And
increasing the aa depth, the results were not much better, even with render
times bigger than with focal blur.

--
Jaime