POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so (Message 54 to 63 of 103)
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Subject: Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so
Date: 13 Feb 2005 03:25:04
Message: <420f0ee0$1@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: Lance Birch
Date: 13 Feb 2005 03:55:38
Message: <420f160a$1@news.povray.org>
news:cun2hh$2qb$1@chho.imagico.de...

> > I don't want to sound like I'm speaking on Darren's behalf, but I think
Darren's
> > entire point was that you should be able to do it without having to resort
> > using meshes, but because the function needed to be iterative, it wasn't
> > possible with isosurfaces.
>
> And my point was that landscapes like on the URL above are entirely
> possibe to do in much higher quality in POV-Ray using existing means and
> without meshes and a plugin system would not improve this in any way.
> And also classical fractals can be rendered as isosurfaces using
> POV-Ray's builtin fractal patterns.

But you can't have an iterative user-defined function to define an isosurface,
right?  I believe that's the kind of thing Darren is talking about - being able
to create your own iterative functions and using those to create objects,
without having to resort to approximating them with meshes.

It's irrelevant to this situation to say that you can use builtin fractal
patterns with isosurfaces because that only includes the julia and madelbrot
sets.  These two fractals aren't appropriate for generating landscapes; you need
to be able to have user-defined iterative functions, and that's not currently
possible.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au
thehandle - www.thehandle.com

Post a reply to this message

> It's irrelevant to this situation to say that you can use builtin fractal
> patterns with isosurfaces because that only includes the julia and madelbrot
> sets.  These two fractals aren't appropriate for generating landscapes; you need
> to be able to have user-defined iterative functions, and that's not currently
> possible.

Could you please enlighten me how i am able to create my isosurface
landscape scenes then? And no - i don't use custom patches for this, all
LOTW2 scenes for example render with plain MegaPOV 1.0/1.1.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message