POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so : Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 13 Feb 2005 19:50:04
Message: <cun9c4$40m$1@chho.imagico.de>

>     All right so my example wasn't perfect. I suppose you won't like th
> next either since both patches are available together in megapov now:
> clothray and mechsim. There was  time when those two where completely
> separate patches and couldn't be used together. Plugins would have
> made that possible (and would have removed the requirement for someone
> to spend time integrating the two together, so that person could have
> spend his time working on new features/enhancements).

No, a clothray plugin for POV-Ray 3.1 would have had to be modified for
3.5 just like the patch had to.  Same for mechsim.

The time spent 'integrating the two together' was exactly zero - except
maybe a few shared keywords.

So if both patches were implemented with some theoretical plugin system
(and i don't even want to try to imagine how this would have to look
like for allowing the mechsim patch in the current form) they would not
have been available to be used together a day earlier than they have
been now.

To sum it up - your central argument seems to be a plugin system would
offer the possibilities of patches without maintainance work in a 'write

once - use forever' manner.  This is not the case.

And concerning Renderman-like shaders - i already explained that the
POVMan patch would have not been possible to implement as a plugin.  But

to have support for Renderman shaders in POV-Ray would of course be nice

but this is not a plugin system (shaders are not dynamically linked
external modules, they are possible to be implemented in a completely
portable way).

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______