POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Filled Height field Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:13:16 EDT (-0400)
  Filled Height field (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Xilo Musimene
Subject: Filled Height field
Date: 30 May 2003 18:14:00
Message: <3ED7D7A8.10509@hotpop.com>
Hi,
   I need to make a filled height field, that is, a height field which
has an interior beneath the top surface.

I've been looking and the height_field cannot do this in my
understanding, possibly an isosurface could, but you can probably
compare my skills to a newbies'!

If not possible I was thinking on tracing the hf and put a sphere and a
cylinder from there to y=-1...  this would be extremely memory exaustive
and would probably end up being impossible with my hardware.  I need a
very big precision hf, I could possibly then try with a low res hf, make
the same thing with cylinders in a blob and then apply a normal texture
or a bump_map of some sort to give more precision?

But I really don't know what is the best thing I should do!

Thanks for any help!
   Xilo

--
Dedicated to audio/visual and interactive artwork.
http://www.geocities.com/simonlemieux/

Post a reply to this message

Xilo Musimene <xil### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:
>    I need to make a filled height field, that is, a height field which
> has an interior beneath the top surface.

  You should be more specific about this. You description does not really
tell what is what you need.
  Can you, for example, post a small scene showing the unwanted effect and
then describing how you would like that image to look like?

 Xilo Musimene <xil### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:

>    I need to make a filled height field, that is, a height field which
> has an interior beneath the top surface.

A height_field object does have an interior, as I recall it extends from
the surface infinitely in the -y direction. It just doesn't have any
sides, which makes it tricky to use for things like media.

> If not possible I was thinking on tracing the hf and put a sphere and a
> cylinder from there to y=-1...  this would be extremely memory exaustive
> and would probably end up being impossible with my hardware.  I need a
> very big precision hf, I could possibly then try with a low res hf, make
> the same thing with cylinders in a blob and then apply a normal texture
> or a bump_map of some sort to give more precision?

I don't know what you're talking about here, but it sounds like you are
making things much too complex. Just use an intersection of the height
field with a box...scale and translate the height field to slightly
overlap the sides of the box (to avoid precision problems), and you will
get a shape with the sides of the box and the upper surface of the
height field.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

> Xilo Musimene <xil### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:
> >    I need to make a filled height field, that is, a height field which
> > has an interior beneath the top surface.
>
>   You should be more specific about this. You description does not really
> tell what is what you need.

Well, CSG difference from a box could be the answer. That gives a solid
object to work with. But I agree that the Xilo's message confused me when it
came to the cylinders and blobs and bump mapping.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

>   You should be more specific about this. You description does not really
> tell what is what you need.
>   Can you, for example, post a small scene showing the unwanted effect and
> then describing how you would like that image to look like?

Ok, I'll post what I mean in p.b.images as "Fill Height field"

Xilo