POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Filled Height field : Re: Filled Height field Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filled Height field
From: Xilo Musimene
Date: 31 May 2003 07:41:44
Message: <3ED894FD.5000804@hotpop.com>
> I didn't say to scale the height field to overlap the box just to make
> it more challenging. The speckles should be a dead giveaway: you are
> seeing an equivalent to the coincident surface problem, sometimes the
> sides of the box are "inside" the height field, sometimes they are
> "outside", depending on how the precision errors turn out.
>
> intersection {
>     box { <-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>, <0.5, 1, 0.5>}
>     height_field { png "Heightfield.png" smooth
>         scale < 1.02, 0.1, 1.02>
>         translate <-0.51, 0, -0.51>
>     }
>     pigment {rgb 1}
> }

Ok, but I changed the box to look like this:
box { <-0.6, -0.5, -0.6>, <0.6, 1, 0.6>}

And the picture was exactly the same...

>>// or perhaps: plane { <0,1,0>, 3 }
>

> No, that will not work. You are adding sides, a plane doesn't have sides.

Well, I just want it filled so I can do difference on it and carve
things into my height field...

Thanks,
   Xilo

--
Dedicated to audio/visual and interactive artwork.
http://www.geocities.com/simonlemieux/