POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Filled Height field : Re: Filled Height field Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filled Height field
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 31 May 2003 15:14:00
Message: <cjameshuff-7024C4.14154031052003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ED### [at] hotpopcom>,
 Xilo Musimene <xil### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:

> Ok, but I changed the box to look like this:
> box { <-0.6, -0.5, -0.6>, <0.6, 1, 0.6>}
>
> And the picture was exactly the same...

I doubt that...you avoided the coincidence problem by putting the box
sides outside the height field, exactly the opposite of what will work,
so you probably didn't even get the speckled sides at the back. Try
following the instructions given. Jeez, I even gave you working example
code...

> > No, that will not work. You are adding sides, a plane doesn't have sides.
>
> Well, I just want it filled so I can do difference on it and carve
> things into my height field...

As explained, the height field is already a solid object, it just
doesn't have sides. If you want solid sides instead of just the upper
surface, you need to intersect it with a slightly smaller box so the
sides of the box will be used. The plane you used doesn't have any
surfaces that can be used for the sides, so intersecting with it will
not work. In fact, it didn't have *any* surfaces that intersected the
height field, so the only effect would have been to make the height
field render slower. You could intersect with 4 planes perpendicular to
the height field, one for each side, but this will be both slower and
more work to set up.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/