POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Filled Height field : Re: Filled Height field Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filled Height field
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 30 May 2003 18:42:27
Message: <cjameshuff-D68B6D.17440330052003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ED### [at] hotpopcom>,
 Xilo Musimene <xil### [at] hotpopcom> wrote:

>    I need to make a filled height field, that is, a height field which
> has an interior beneath the top surface.

A height_field object does have an interior, as I recall it extends from
the surface infinitely in the -y direction. It just doesn't have any
sides, which makes it tricky to use for things like media.

> If not possible I was thinking on tracing the hf and put a sphere and a
> cylinder from there to y=-1...  this would be extremely memory exaustive
> and would probably end up being impossible with my hardware.  I need a
> very big precision hf, I could possibly then try with a low res hf, make
> the same thing with cylinders in a blob and then apply a normal texture
> or a bump_map of some sort to give more precision?

I don't know what you're talking about here, but it sounds like you are
making things much too complex. Just use an intersection of the height
field with a box...scale and translate the height field to slightly
overlap the sides of the box (to avoid precision problems), and you will
get a shape with the sides of the box and the upper surface of the
height field.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/