POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone know about NT? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Anyone know about NT? (Message 25 to 34 of 34)
From: Stephan Vogt
Subject: Re: Anyone know about NT?
Date: 15 Jun 1998 20:46:06
Message: <6m4f8r$bls$1@oz.aussie.org>
There seems to be a lot of interest in NT judging by the amount of messages.
Since you decided not to make a NT only version,  I am wondering if you
could make
the rendering engine multi-threaded which would not cause any problems in
Win95/98 but would run almost twice as fast on a 2 CPU NT platform.  Is the
programming difficult to do?  I don't know how many of the POVRay fans own
that kind of machine.  It seems to be getting a lot cheaper these days.  I
have one
myself.

povray.org admin team wrote in message <3580426c.8338169@news.povray.org>...

>There's no real point in having a NT-only version - the Win32 version is
fully
>32-bit and there's little we could do (while keeping it single-processor)
>make it faster on NT.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:46:06 -0400, "Stephan Vogt"
<sno### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:

>There seems to be a lot of interest in NT judging by the amount of messages.
>Since you decided not to make a NT only version,  I am wondering if you
>could make
>the rendering engine multi-threaded which would not cause any problems in
>Win95/98 but would run almost twice as fast on a 2 CPU NT platform.  Is the
>programming difficult to do?  I don't know how many of the POVRay fans own
>that kind of machine.  It seems to be getting a lot cheaper these days.  I
>have one
>myself.

I've looked at this, and sad to say, it would be a horrible job to get
it to run multithreaded, due to the proliferation of global variables
used in unsavory ways.  You're better off just running two copies of
POVRay and using a script or batch file of some kind to coordinate the
rendering.

Post a reply to this message