POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone know about NT? : Re: Anyone know about NT? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone know about NT?
From: Andrew Woodfin
Date: 22 Jul 1998 18:48:03
Message: <35B65D7D.602823C7@uncc.edu>
Lance Birch wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering whether anyone here uses NT 4.0...  I've just bought 3D
> Studio MAX and I was wondering whether there is a huge speed and reliability
> increase.  I've heard that it is better than Windows 95 but that it's about
> the same as Windows 98 (except 98 doesn't have Multi-Processor threading).
> Does anyone here know about NT and 98?  This may not be the best place to
> ask but I couldn't really find anywhere else.  Thanks.
>
> --
> Lance Birch
> Remove the smiley to e-mail.
> http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/parallax/359/

 Maybe a slightly more terse explanation will help:
I run NT 4.0 on a 233 MHz Pentium II box, and have run 95 on the same machine
(no Windows 98 in my immediate future). I have tinkered with 3D Studio on both,
and find NT to be a little faster, though not worth the expense of shelling out
the $$$ for it unless you're dedicated to 3D! The crashproofness just doesn't do
it for me with NT. The operating system itself is more robust than 95, but
program crashes aren't reduced.
Go with a fast processor and stick with 95, or throw out some money for NT and
try installing a few boards in it; Fun fun fun!

Andy