POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone know about NT? : Re: Anyone know about NT? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone know about NT?
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 16 Jun 1998 22:21:21
Message: <358727bd.175793049@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:46:06 -0400, "Stephan Vogt"
<sno### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:

>There seems to be a lot of interest in NT judging by the amount of messages.
>Since you decided not to make a NT only version,  I am wondering if you
>could make
>the rendering engine multi-threaded which would not cause any problems in
>Win95/98 but would run almost twice as fast on a 2 CPU NT platform.  Is the
>programming difficult to do?  I don't know how many of the POVRay fans own
>that kind of machine.  It seems to be getting a lot cheaper these days.  I
>have one
>myself.

I've looked at this, and sad to say, it would be a horrible job to get
it to run multithreaded, due to the proliferation of global variables
used in unsavory ways.  You're better off just running two copies of
POVRay and using a script or batch file of some kind to coordinate the
rendering.