POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone know about NT? : Re: Anyone know about NT? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone know about NT?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 18 Nov 1998 16:25:19
Message: <36533b3f.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:20:23 -0500, Lewis Sellers <lse### [at] usitnet> wrote:

>Ancient post, but, as I recall the stop instruction stops the machine
>until an EXTERNAL interrupt occurs. Hitting the power or reset button
>for one thing. Other hardware events can also unstop the processor.

You're thinking of the HLT instruction, which is an Intel thing.  At
least the first person in the exchange you quoted was thinking of a
system stop, also known in some circles as a Bugcheck or a Blue
Screen of Death, which is an NT thing.  Most BSODs are the result of
a protection fault at the kernel level.  The only thing you can do
when you get a BSOD is restart the machine (unless you're running a
kernel debugger)  Unixes get these too - they call it a Kernel Panic.