POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone know about NT? : Re: Anyone know about NT? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone know about NT?
From: Jon S  Berndt
Date: 12 Jul 1998 18:13:30
Message: <35A92820.F843E5BA@hal-pc.org>
> I've been running NT (3.51 and 4.0) for about four years, on several
> different boxes, using it for intensive development work as well as many
> other applications (including POV-Ray) (not counting editors and web
> browsers, the program I run most often is probably EGCS). In all that
> time, I've had exactly three system crashes (and one of those was under
> an early beta of NT4, so I don't think it's fair to count it), plus two
> occasions when the OS was malfunctioning badly enough that I rebooted to
> fix it. My record for contnuous up time is about two months. (The usual
> reason for rebooting is badly written installers that insist on a
> restart.)

Two months of continuous uptime? Two months for NT is unusual from what
I have heard, though two months is still not very much. Is this on a
home system, or a business system? From what I have heard NT is neither
stable nor secure for most business and engineering uses - it's a big
headache for system administrators. It is no replacement for Unix, and
it is insanely expensive. For some interesting perspective on the NT vs.
Unix question see:

http://www.kirch.net/unix-nt.html
http://www.isdmag.com/Editorial/1998/CoverStory9807.html

jb