POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone know about NT? : Re: Anyone know about NT? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone know about NT?
From: Ross Smith
Date: 13 Jul 1998 05:59:22
Message: <35A9CC5E.2C01@ihug.co.nz>
Jon S. Berndt wrote:

> > I've been running NT (3.51 and 4.0) for about four years, on several
> > different boxes, using it for intensive development work as well as many
> > other applications (including POV-Ray) (not counting editors and web
> > browsers, the program I run most often is probably EGCS). In all that
> > time, I've had exactly three system crashes (and one of those was under
> > an early beta of NT4, so I don't think it's fair to count it), plus two
> > occasions when the OS was malfunctioning badly enough that I rebooted to
> > fix it. My record for contnuous up time is about two months. (The usual
> > reason for rebooting is badly written installers that insist on a
> > restart.)
>
> Two months of continuous uptime? Two months for NT is unusual from what
> I have heard, though two months is still not very much. Is this on a
> home system, or a business system?

Business (software development).

> From what I have heard

You keep using that phrase. Perhaps there would be less OS bigotry
around if people were a bit more skeptical about hearsay. I have several
years of software development on both Win32 *and* Linux (and OS/2 and a
little Irix) behind me (and, I hope, several more in front of me :-) ),
so I think I can claim to know what I'm talking about. The rumours of
NT's death (blue screen of) are greatly exaggerated.

> NT is neither
> stable nor secure for most business and engineering uses - it's a big
> headache for system administrators. It is no replacement for Unix, and
> it is insanely expensive. For some interesting perspective on the NT vs.
> Unix question see:
>
> http://www.kirch.net/unix-nt.html
> http://www.isdmag.com/Editorial/1998/CoverStory9807.html

Not relevant, since they're talking about servers and I'm talking about
workstations. I'd be the first to recommend Linux over NT for a
*server*. But for my desktop box, the one I cut C++ on all the live long
day, no amount of money would persuade me to use Unix.

--
Ross Smith ..................................... Wellington, New Zealand
<mailto:r-s### [at] ihugconz> ........ <http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~r-smith/>