POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Observation: Memory Increase During Render Server Time
16 May 2024 09:47:02 EDT (-0400)
  Observation: Memory Increase During Render (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: Observation: Memory Increase During Render
Date: 1 Feb 2016 13:10:45
Message: <56af9fa5$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/31/2016 8:51 PM, clipka wrote:

> Running out of /virtual/ memory is a feat that on a Windows system
> rarely ever happens.

I actually had povwin suck down all my memory the other day.  Windows
(8.1) was kind enough to say "you really want to kill this guy".

I currently have a povwin idling at 2GB real memory and 8GB virtual
memory.  In this instance, I have rendered maybe 800-1000 frames (test
frames, low object count).

This isn't anything I even looked at until the other day when it freaked
out.  I'm not saying it's leaking, but it would be nice if it gave back
the memory when it was doing nothing.

Post a reply to this message

Am 01.02.2016 um 19:10 schrieb dick balaska:
> On 1/31/2016 8:51 PM, clipka wrote:
>

>> Running out of /virtual/ memory is a feat that on a Windows system
>> rarely ever happens.
>
> I actually had povwin suck down all my memory the other day.  Windows
> (8.1) was kind enough to say "you really want to kill this guy".

Okay -- that is new then.

> I currently have a povwin idling at 2GB real memory and 8GB virtual
> memory.  In this instance, I have rendered maybe 800-1000 frames (test
> frames, low object count).
>
> This isn't anything I even looked at until the other day when it freaked
> out.  I'm not saying it's leaking, but it would be nice if it gave back
> the memory when it was doing nothing.

That, too, is something new (at least to me). Needs more details to
investigate though.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 01.02.2016 um 19:10 schrieb dick balaska:
>> On 1/31/2016 8:51 PM, clipka wrote:
>>

>>> Running out of /virtual/ memory is a feat that on a Windows system
>>> rarely ever happens.
>>
>> I actually had povwin suck down all my memory the other day.  Windows
>> (8.1) was kind enough to say "you really want to kill this guy".
>
> Okay -- that is new then.
>

>> I currently have a povwin idling at 2GB real memory and 8GB virtual
>> memory.  In this instance, I have rendered maybe 800-1000 frames (test
>> frames, low object count).
>>
>> This isn't anything I even looked at until the other day when it freaked
>> out.  I'm not saying it's leaking, but it would be nice if it gave back
>> the memory when it was doing nothing.
>
> That, too, is something new (at least to me). Needs more details to
> investigate though.

:(  I'm gonna have to go with this is a thing now.
povwin 3.7.1-alpha.8358383+av65.msvc14.win
I think you built it.

I was starting up to run 100 frames. I looked at System Explorer
7.0.0.5356 and noticed a handful of petabytes consumed by povwin (I
don't remember how much, it was a lot).  I restarted povwin and started
my render.  I notice it is leaking about 50MB per frame.
So I've done 48 frames and I'm sitting at
Mem Usage (KB) 1,972,724
VM Size (KB)   2,020,552

That works out to 42MB leaking per frame.  Seems low. What does the next
frame give us?

Mem Usage (KB) 2,006,148
VM Size (KB)   2,055,804

It does give a little back between frames. It dropped to
Mem Usage (KB) 1,996,000

and then climbed to
Mem Usage (KB) 2,042,780
VM Size (KB)   2,094,184

I can't wait to see what it says when I get up in the morning...
99 frames rendered.

Mem Usage (KB) 4,217,172
VM Size (KB)   8,005,052

And then after it finished 100 frames and povwin went idle, it actually
gave a little memory back and currently sits at.

Mem Usage (KB) 3,761,412
VM Size (KB)   8,055,384

This is the baseline memory usage for my next render job.  It will never
go below this.  It will only go up.

Post a reply to this message